RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

On June 29, 2013 I will be:

Running Leadville Marathon
42%
Running Leadville Heavy Half
33%
There for support in the form of Dales/food/cheering/etc.
24%

Total votes: 33
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Post by SeracZack »

kushrocks wrote:Ok let's get this thread back on track and thinking about Running for Rob. Kathy I love this idea, Rob would be proud. I can't run this with me knee but I will be there all day to support everyone and maybe get a cooler or two filled with gatorade, water and tons of Dales Pale Ale for everyone at the end of the race. I think it would only be fitting to have a kick ass camp out and bbq somewhere near leadville that night and I know Rob would love this idea as well. I can take care of that so all you marathoners can focus on the run. This will be awesome.
Not much of a runner myself, but I would certainly help in this regard.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

I just added it to my calendar for a Monday reminder to register. I think I will only be able to manage the half this go-around. Looking forward to it.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

If I don't swear off running for good after the Collegiate Peaks Trial Run, I'm in.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Regrettably never had the pleasure of meeting Rob, but what a moving tribute.
If anyone doesn't want to run for any reason, volunteering and cheering is always appreciated at these things.

If my schedule allows and I'm out there, I'll volunteer and/or run-spectate/pace and cheer y'all on!
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

For anyone interested... Click here and you can see Rob's race pictures from the marathon last year:

http://www.zazoosh.com/events/searchPhotos/561?bib=270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also click here to see his results. Rob was a beast in the mountains!:

http://my1.raceresult.com/details/resul ... T&presort=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

dehrlich101 wrote:If I don't swear off running for good after the Collegiate Peaks Trial Run, I'm in.
Is it wrong that I read that as if Sam Elliot said it?

Annnnyway, I know a couple other people from the site that will probably join up as well. I imagine we will have a strong showing!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

metalmountain wrote:
dehrlich101 wrote:If I don't swear off running for good after the Collegiate Peaks Trial Run, I'm in.
Is it wrong that I read that as if Sam Elliot said it?

Annnnyway, I know a couple other people from the site that will probably join up as well. I imagine we will have a strong showing!
I hope everything I post is read as if Sam Elliot said it.. Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you. Nice, hair piece BTW.

The Mount Evans Asent is two weeks before the Leadville Marathon, and would be a good training half for those interested in running Leadville. Registration opens on Black Friday after Thanksgiving with a special low entrance price!

Check em' out. http://www.racingunderground.com/mtevan ... ation.html
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
marie123
14ers: 51  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marie123 »

I'm in as well. I've never done a full marathon, so I might try the half first, not sure though. Does anyone know if you can register for the half, and then switch to the full later on?
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

I know a number of us had talked about doing this sort of as a relay event for us 'non-runners' and someone was looking into whether they would allow it as a memorial (obviously unofficial timing etc.). Has that taken place or are any of my 'hiking, non-running' buddies still interested in this? I dont know what the team would need to look like but even 5-10 of us would take it down to a marginal figure for non-runners.

B
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Deleted, I have no intention to derail the well-intentioned thread at all. My continued condolences.
Last edited by madbuck on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

madbuck wrote:It's a nice thought and doesn't hurt to ask, but in general, such actions (called "banditing") are discouraged in racing: there are a number of paid entrants, including those that are entering to honour him; and even without using aid station supplies, there's something about the fact that it's a race that has potential negative consequences, such as increasing crowds for other runners, a respect for the competitive aspect and the challenge of the distance, and the potential use of emergency/aid even if not intended.

To respectfully honour an accomplishment of that magnitude, I think it's awesome that some here are inspired to go beyond what they perceived as their own limits. Most healthy folks, if they so choose, could work their way up to the half-marathon distance at least in that timeframe. If not, running the same course on an alternate date.

I hope my opinion is taken with the same intention and well-meaning that I take your suggestion to be. Cheers!
I think you missed the intent we had. The team would be more than happy to pay the entry fee on an individual basis. I know a number of runners who take it so seriously as to get pissed about such a thought and really they can just suck it up. The team we had spoken about is not interested in the 'race' aspect but the 'doing something Rob loved that we could not otherwise do' aspect. If you have never been to the event, you would know the crowds exist whether 5-10 of us want to do it in stages or not. While I/we all can respect the competitive aspect to the race (hence why we know the time would not be official, and I believe I stated that), there is no competitive spirit apart from that which we all would have with ourselves to complete our stage in a manner Rob would be proud of. As for emergency aid, I can pretty well assure you if you had 10 non-runners enter it trying to do the whole thing that may be a bit worse.

With all due respect, your opinion was not taken in the same intention and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further but you certainly came across as someone who doesnt want 'non-runners' in your event no matter their intentions.

My $.015
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I should have sent a PM first, my apologies.