Longs Peak - between the Keyhole and the Trough

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
argothor
14ers: 33 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Longs Peak - between the Keyhole and the Trough

Post by argothor »

A friend tells me that there are some metal posts embedded in the rocks about halfway between the Keyhole and the Trough. Does anyone have GPS coordinates for these posts? He lost his day pack between those posts and the Trough, and I was hoping that by having those coordinates it might help narrow the field of search. Hoping to head up there this weekend.

How much snow has fallen since the end of September and how much of that has melted?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Longs Peak - between the Keyhole and the Trough

Post by Jim Davies »

If you're on route, you'll see the posts (unless they're covered by snow, which seems unlikely right now). They're not far from the Keyhole, as I recall, and there's a red permanent "Keyhole" sign and downward-pointing arrow a bit past the posts, as on the way down the False Keyhole is above there and lures people off-route sometimes.

Here's what the spot looks like on the way up. You can see the Trough in the background.
keyhole-posts.jpg
keyhole-posts.jpg (154.16 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Seems like if you follow the main route and bulls eyes, it was pretty obvious. I'd keep an eye out at the Keyhole and other areas for the pack too, someone may have retrieved it since.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
argothor
14ers: 33 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by argothor »

The pack isn't on the "trail". It slid down a slick snow covered slab and bounded out of slight and given that the slab was slick my friend deemed it wasn't safe to try to retrieve it at the time. I'm thinking I will approach this from the Keyhole route, hopefully find the slab and descend looking for the pack and then hike out Glacier Gorge.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

That's a large area, it's fairly steep, and it probably has a dusting of snow. Sounds like your friend wisely abondoned the pack. If you go looking, I'd expect an adventure.
mtnjam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjam »

from a similar image:

zone 13, NAD 83

40.25908, -105.62061

If you need to convert the coordinates:

http://www.rcn.montana.edu/resources/to ... %201866%20(NAD27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)&lat=35.375&lath=N&lon=-86.0&lonh=W

oh, and good luck! be safe.

monty
http://www.cloudhiking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

Obviously you and your friend have a good head for safety but be verrry careful going off-trail in that area. A guy got off route and tumbled all the way to the valley floor (and died, unfortunately) a couple years ago. A rope and a couple ascenders or prussiks would probably be a good choice.