Mt. Audubon - Peak in Distance?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aarontfields
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Audubon - Peak in Distance?

Post by aarontfields »

This is a long shot, however, would anyone know what peak this is in the distance? I was hiking Mt. Audubon and saw the peak from the trail. Is it another 13er? I'd like to hike it on my next trip out to CO. Thanks!!

http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/20 ... 170125.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Mt. Audubon - Peak in Distance?

Post by clemsonmtneer »

That would be Mt. Toll. It's just under 13k, but there's a good class 2 route to the summit from Pawnee Pass.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

u22556p90_121026170125 copy.jpg
u22556p90_121026170125 copy.jpg (173.41 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Trip report of doing them all in a day.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
aarontfields
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aarontfields »

Thanks everyone! It looks like a great climb!
livetothemax96
14ers: 10  5  3 
13ers: 14 2 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

On the topic of Mt. Audubon, when i was climbing the class the ridge on the south side of Audubon's little east facing cirque, I spotted a narrow, high walled couloir on the north side, does anyone know what it is, or has anyone climbed it before?
whats life unless you live it?
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Here is a pic of the route to Toll from Pawnee Peak. This was taken about this time of year in 2010. Paiute Peak is the next peak to the right before Audobon. You can see Longs off in the distance just to the right of Paiute Peak.

Toll, Paiute, Longs, and Audobon from Pawnee Peak.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

livetothemax96 wrote:On the topic of Mt. Audubon, when i was climbing the class the ridge on the south side of Audubon's little east facing cirque, I spotted a narrow, high walled couloir on the north side, does anyone know what it is, or has anyone climbed it before?
Coney Couloirs? If so, they are in Roach's IPW book.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Floyd wrote:
livetothemax96 wrote:On the topic of Mt. Audubon, when i was climbing the class the ridge on the south side of Audubon's little east facing cirque, I spotted a narrow, high walled couloir on the north side, does anyone know what it is, or has anyone climbed it before?
Coney on the north side, crooked on the south side...both really nice ski descents
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
livetothemax96
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

ajkagy wrote:
Floyd wrote:
Coney on the north side, crooked on the south side...both really nice ski descents

No, it isn't one of the Coney Couloirs or the Crooked Couloir. In Roaches book, he talks about a north facing couloir that goes up to the notch on the southeast ridge ( a really great route just fyi), but the couloir I was looking at is on the opposite side of that bowl, so it's south facing instead of north facing. i'll see if I got a picture of it.
harrise
14ers: 12 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (4)

Post by harrise »

Here is looking down from roughly the 'x' above...

It looked about the same angle as Curvaceous. Went down it about 50' but the rest of the group was already out of earshot moving towards the standard trail so I went back to join them. Lots of loose tablet size stuff in the dry.
livetothemax96
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

That would be the one! I've been trying to find some beta on it, but haven't found anything yet. Is it as inset as it looks?
HikeforTurns
14ers: 58 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HikeforTurns »

livetothemax96 wrote:That would be the one! I've been trying to find some beta on it, but haven't found anything yet. Is it as inset as it looks?
This one?