Dog Eye Protection

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Dog Eye Protection

Post by ThuChad »

With winter coming and many of us doing hikes with our dogs, I'm wondering how bad it is for our dogs' eyes to be out all day in the sun and snow. I'm pretty sure it was cause damage to a human's eyes being out without any sort of eye protection. I have two young Jack Russells that I would prefer have their eye-site for the entirety of their lives. It's common for them to live 16 years and some live a few more.

I'm sure someone has thought about this. Any opinions?
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Dog Eye Protection

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Sharing the sames concerns, I have tried Doggles in the past with my dog, but she would not go for it and would work hard to get them off. She and her doggy pals have spent a LOT of time in the high country, year round, in all conditions with no eye protection and none have shown any issues with their eyesight (at least that I know of). I am inclined to say not to worry about it based on our experiences, but each dog is different and if you can convince your dog to wear the Doggles (or something similar), then that would be ideal.
sanjuanmtneer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

Check with your Vet!
Some breeds are more prone to eye damage than others.
One of my German Shepherds was afflicted badly during a spring snow climb from the top of Independence Pass and required very, very expensive eye drops for the rest of his life.
My Vet told me that breed was vulnerable.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Kafka says that doggies need to be protected from their owner's bad judgement and their own stupidity. Try this:
doggy protective suit.jpg
doggy protective suit.jpg (256.09 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Where can I get one of those for the pup?! 8)
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

P1050073 (450x800).jpg
P1050073 (450x800).jpg (251.9 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
Our dog responded well to seeing US put on a backpack before asking her to let us put HER pack on.

We followed the same procedure with snow-boots, jackets and doggles.

She knows that the doggles keep the cold wind out of her eyes while riding the snowmobile. When we put the doggles on, she jumps up onto the machine and waits for it to go somewhere. When the ride is done, she wants the doggles removed immediately.

http://doggles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The doggles come in several sizes and are easily adjusted. Good Luck - we love them!
rocky
south fork, colorado
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Nice, thanks Rocky those look a lot better quality than the ones I have seen in stores. Thanks
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

This video was taken 3 years ago - she really enjoys wearing her doggles on the snowmobile!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSgkmW8ipI&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's also into going fast!
pushing the speed limit (800x600).jpg
pushing the speed limit (800x600).jpg (249.75 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
rocky
south fork, colorado
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

That is a great photo.
I've never been able to get a dog to wear doggles.
Is there a trick to it?
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Wow! This is great! I've seen pictures of dogs with the goggles but I didn't know they were actually doggles. I don't think my dogs will tolerate them but it's worth a try.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
LuLuLuv
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

The Lu has Doggles, but she will not keep them on! I think the bigger dogs do better with them, she is part terror"ier".

So I tried to post a picture, you'd think as long as I've been on this site I could figure it out??? nope
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

Dogs have a nictitating membrane that helps protect the cornea in adverse conditions. Humans only have a plica semiluminaris of conjuctiva that is a vestigial nictitating membrane and have more need for goggles than our dogs.
Don't let that stop you from providing more eye protection for your pooch, though.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!