Current Conditions on Mt Sopris?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
myrone
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (30)

Current Conditions on Mt Sopris?

Post by myrone »

Was thinking about going up to Mt Sopris this coming weekend and could use some current info about conditions up there.
Want to head up from Dinkle Lake and any word about snow, weather, trailheads, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Myrone
:?:
Colorado 14'ers
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Current Conditions on Mt Sopris?

Post by ameristrat »

Was in Snowmass this past weekend - didn't see Sopris, but the first significant snow of any kind for the region was this weekend - up high they got probably 6 inches.

It's supposed to be pretty warm this week, so my guess is that you'll probably be all right - I doubt too much snow will hang on this week - that climb is south facing correct? It's been seven or eight years since I did it.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
myrone
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (30)

Post by myrone »

Climb is actually north facing. Thanks for the info.
CRAIGO
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

There's just a few switchbacks (~400') after the lakes that are north facing, and it is not very high in elevation. The final mile + to the summit is more or less on the ridge crest. You will be fine. Maybe just bring some light traction in case there are some icy spots. I was up there 2 weeks ago (I realize it has snowed since). The road was completely clear and the trail had 2 very small patches of ice.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Well... Shows what I can remember! Have fun!
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Sopris looked great today. A little snow left on the north side, but not enough to worry about.
I agree with CRAIGO, there could be some ice on the switchbacks, so the little spiky things and maybe some poles might help.
If I remember I can snap a photo from my dog running trail on thursday or friday.
Might be some more weather coming in. It just hailed in Glenwood Springs.
There will be a bunch of hunters up there, so if you see elk, chase them downhill towards Dinkle Lake.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

cheeseburglar wrote:There will be a bunch of hunters up there, so if you see elk, chase them downhill towards Dinkle Lake.
Yes, if you can, use a pack of off-leash dogs to run the game down to where the Great White Hunters can wax them with less effort. Daniel Boone shot deer from his front porch whenever he could...

That's what hunting is all about.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

If you want to borrow my dogs this weekend, they are available.
I won't be getting out, but the dogs would love to chase some wildlife.
No saying if they will chase them uphill or downhill. Or how it would go if they chased a rutting elk.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes