Honeymoon Ideas

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Re: Honeymoon Ideas

Post by USAKeller »

aliciaf wrote:Does anyone have any ideas or input for us? We would like to get some hiking in (doesn't necessarily have to be a summit hike, although it would be nice - but rather a hike with great views). I'm not opposed to roughing it, but I'd like to be able to stay in a hotel and have some nice accomodations at least some of the time. If someone even has a suggestion for a fairly moderate summit hike we'd be up for hearing it - our experience is limited to CO 14ers with very little snow travel (hopefully that will change after this winter/spring).
Does the location have to be international?
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

If you only have a week it might be better to stick close by? You'll probably lose at least a day on either side of your trip if you travel very far...just a thought.

As Scott said, Iceland is incredibly beautiful but extremely expensive (though less so after their credit crash). But if you get lost in an Icelandic forest, just stand up. :-D

Of those listed, I'd give Costa Rica a shot because it's relatively close, cheaper, and kind of adventurous.

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll have fun wherever you go!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If you only have a week it might be better to stick close by?

Good point. I don't know if I'd go any of those places if I only had a week. Maybe the Canadian Rockies or BC, but a week is really short for an international trip.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Scott P wrote:
If you only have a week it might be better to stick close by?

Good point. I don't know if I'd go any of those places if I only had a week. Maybe the Canadian Rockies or BC, but a week is really short for an international trip.
Lake Louise/Banff area. Maybe Jasper National Park.
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

Hmm we really want to go international and I think a week is long enough. We just want to go big for our honeymoon as we can go somewhere domestic anytime. But our vacation time at work is limited so a week is all we can afford to take. It'd actually be 8 days since we will lose a day flying if we go far.
mikem0687
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mikem0687 »

I would suggest going to Hawaii, specifically Kauai. That island is a hikers paradise. You got the Waimea canyon, Na'Pali Coast, Mount Waialeale (wettest place on earth), and lots of kayaking/snorkling. Also if you stay near the airport, your within a hour drive of the entire island.
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

We just had our honeymoon in Switzerland in July. It was a trip of a lifetime. We enjoyed every minute of it. PM me if you'd like and I can give you plenty of ideas.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
jeremy27
14ers: 36  3 
13ers: 67 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeremy27 »

My wife and I went to Belize this spring on an REI "adventure" trip.
http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/latin/bgm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was amazing. I didn't think the adventuring was too adventurous but everything else was perfect.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

aliciaf wrote:Hmm we really want to go international and I think a week is long enough. We just want to go big for our honeymoon as we can go somewhere domestic anytime. But our vacation time at work is limited so a week is all we can afford to take. It'd actually be 8 days since we will lose a day flying if we go far.
I was about to suggest New Zealand before reading this, but that place is way too far, expensive and you lose a day flying to. If you had 2 weeks, I'd say go for it.

That Pali Coast rec from Ben from the East looks pretty awesome, specially if your fiance is in to hiking/backpacking. Canadian Rockies seems like a rock solid choice as well, given your PTO from work.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

My wife and I were looking for the adventure on our honeymoon as well, but we also realized that all of our future vacations together would have an adventurous component to them , so we started leaning towards Europe. We ended up going to Spain and the Pyrenees, followed by the Azores, rather than Switzerland or Scandinavia mostly because it's cheaper and the food is better, IMO. Wining and dining isn't normally that high on our priorities list, but in this case, it was. Here is one of our days if anyone is interested: http://14erskiers.com/blog/2011/07/barc ... oni-gaudi/
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

Here's one of our pictures from our honeymoon.... a little motivation for you to go to Switzerland! :) We loved our trip there. Found it to be a perfect balance of relaxation and also adventure.

Again though, there are so many beautiful places in the world. All of the ideas that other people have suggested sound wonderful too.
Attachments
Matterhorn.JPG
Matterhorn.JPG (84.96 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Been to Zermatt 3 times and would recommend it to anybody. They have zip lining, mountain biking, plenty of hiking, and obviously, the Matterhorn. You can glacier ski year-round. It is the most scenic place I've been. However, a week (when you figure in a day of travel on each end) may be pushing it for a trip of that magnitude.

I'll be heading to Machu Picchu within the next year or so, hopefully, so let me know how it goes should you decide to go that route!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor