South Arapaho

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Yoric
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

South Arapaho

Post by Yoric »

I have this Thursday off and would like to climb something a bit higher than the Boulder peaks. I'm very new to climbing (Bierstadt and Audubon summits only) but South Arapaho looks like a decent class 2 for a newbie. Will the conditions this weekend allow for a non crampon/ ice axe climb? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Re: South Arapaho

Post by Alpineair »

Lower south Arapahoe
Lower south Arapahoe
_DSC5454.jpg (275.92 KiB) Viewed 787 times
I was up there yesterday. There is some ice on the lower part of the trail which can be avoided. Don't know about the upper part but would
recommend microspikes even if you end up not needing them.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

I would think this would be a good route for what you are looking for. The class 2 section is pretty short, and it's a south facing route for the most part. I don't have any recent beta on the route though. As the previous poster said, microspikes wouldn't hurt this time of year, so if you have a pair, bring them along.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

I am pretty sure you are in the clear still for snow/ice. I got a look at recently and it looked clean and clear.
It's a great climb if you have never been up it. as a person new to climbing too you can get a good look at some of the routes you may want to attempt in the future such as skywalker/han solo, and so on. that whole valley is chalk full of good stuff.
Another good area to check out is indian peaks, brainard lake. in that valley is apache peak and a ton of other good ones. Queensway is a great first snow climb, once you know what you are doing a bit.

Have fun. S Arapaho is beautiful.