8000m Research/Expedition Planning

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

8000m Research/Expedition Planning

Post by mts4602 »

I've been reading a lot of books lately on 8000m peaks and it has got me thinking about how climbers go about researching and planning an expediton to one of these peaks. I love the planning/logistics aspect of a trip, and while I have no plans to attempt 8000m anytime soon, I do like to read about it and satifsfy my curiousity on the subject. (Basically I get bored at work and plan hypothetical trips :) )

I've tried researching route info/logistics for several 8000m peaks and it has been difficult to find much of anything other than guided companies websites, other people's trip reports, or just general information. If I were heading to Nepal today I wouldn't know the first direction to walk to find the "trail" if there is one. The only thing I can think of is that by the time someone has the experience to attempt something like this they have probably met a few other people that have done it before. It seems like you might have to contact those people and get a lot of information from them. I know maps are readily available for a lot of places, but route info/beta seems hard to come by.

Has anybody planned their own expedition to an 8000m peak? I'd love to hear about how you went about doing that.

Matt
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: 8000m Research/Expedition Planning

Post by EatinHardtack »

Contact jbchalk on here. He and his wife did Everest on their own.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Well, not hardly on our own :) If you mean with the help of an outfitter for all logistics, permits, on mountain food, supplies, and O2 systems as well as the undying and neverending support of the Sherpa, then yes, on our own :) But, right, there was no guide. I honestly cannot imagine the logistics involved of doing everything on one's own. It would probably entail spending the winter over there, securing O2, buying tanks, masks, organizing sherpa, permits, yaks, food for 60 days, etc. I mean I like planning for a trip, but not that much. No thank you.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

jbchalk wrote:Well, not hardly on our own :) If you mean with the help of an outfitter for all logistics, permits, on mountain food, supplies, and O2 systems as well as the undying and neverending support of the Sherpa, then yes, on our own :) But, right, there was no guide. I honestly cannot imagine the logistics involved of doing everything on one's own. It would probably entail spending the winter over there, securing O2, buying tanks, masks, organizing sherpa, permits, yaks, food for 60 days, etc. I mean I like planning for a trip, but not that much. No thank you.

So awesome!!!

I think "Logistics only" is how a lot of amatuer climbers get their 8000ers (and other expeditions) done. I know my group is not remotely looking at the possibiltiy of going completely on our own.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

jbchalk wrote:Well, not hardly on our own :) If you mean with the help of an outfitter for all logistics, permits, on mountain food, supplies, and O2 systems as well as the undying and neverending support of the Sherpa, then yes, on our own :) But, right, there was no guide. I honestly cannot imagine the logistics involved of doing everything on one's own. It would probably entail spending the winter over there, securing O2, buying tanks, masks, organizing sherpa, permits, yaks, food for 60 days, etc. I mean I like planning for a trip, but not that much. No thank you.
What outfitter did you use? Searching online I can only find guided trips.

I think I am thinking of more along the lines of route info than logistics.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

mts4602 wrote:
What outfitter did you use? Searching online I can only find guided trips.

I think I am thinking of more along the lines of route info than logistics.
The man, the myth, the media legend....Mr. Henry Todd. A good guy to have on your side. His reputation online is not so good; however, he is a great dude. The media always hit the nail on the head, right? His organization is more word of mouth than anything.