My 14er tale

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: My 14er tale

Post by globreal »

Thanks for sharing your story. I was moved by it.....felt my eyes starting to get a little moist.

Congratulations on reaching your goal! Without a goal, I feel life is often just wandering aimlessly.

May God bless you for your service to our country and may He bring healing to your back.
Corn
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Corn »

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my post. The feeling of community on 14ers is the reason i have been following this site for about 3 years now. I originally wrote this tale the evening after the climb and posted it as a note on my facebook page. I wanted to help to inspire some of my friends and family that don't have the appreciation for life and dreams that the hurdles in my life have blessed me with.

To those that have thanked me for my time in the Army, you are truly welcome and it was an honor! Like most (not all) service members i didn't join the military so i could put bumper stickers on my car, show off my ribbons or tell war stories at the bar. I did it because i loved it.

The pain from that day is a distant memory but the emotions will last a lifetime (I still get a lump in my throat when i read that story). I spent some time last fall camping in the Medano and South Colony area and Shhhhhh...... did you hear that? those 14ers are still calling my name! Someday soon i hope to answer that call.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Corn wrote:I spent some time last fall camping in the Medano and South Colony area and Shhhhhh...... did you hear that? those 14ers are still calling my name! Someday soon i hope to answer that call.
=D>
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Yeah man! Look forward to hearing about your next big adventure!
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corn
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Corn »

Here we are over a year later and I have been trying to decide whether or not to post. I eventually came to this conclusion based on the great responses, from the members here, to my original story. This year, on the 18th of May, with another pending surgery less than a month away, I decided to once again test myself at 14000 ft and went for Bierstadt. It hurt, not as bad as Pikes, but it hurt! 10 hours start to finish and a collapse to the pavement back at the Jeep. Fast Forward to August, I enrolled in the Outdoor Leadership program at CSU Pueblo. One of my classes was Intro to Mountaineering, and the peak, my original nemesis, Pikes! On the 16th of August I stood at the trail head, two months post op, and prepared for battle once again. As I hiked the Crags, I felt good, real good. I didn't allow my self to relax because in my mind, any minute the pain would hit. Standing on top, I knew I felt good, but the trip back down would get me, wouldn't it? I was far from setting any speed record but as I finished my walk to the Jeep it was just that a nice walk. No hobbling, no collapse, and no feeling of defeat taking the cog down. I evened up the score. This last Friday I stood atop Mt. Princeton with my wife, lump in my throat, knowing that many great journeys lay ahead!
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

You are seriously an amazingly encouraging person! Thank you for your service and thank you for posting your updates. Can't wait to hear about your next summit! =D>
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story and thank you for serving our country. I admire your courage and determination. Never give up, and never stop fighting !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

Reading your posts in inspiring to say the least.

We all have our quirks and demons that for whatever reason allow us to complain when we hike. For someone such as yourself to have real injuries to overcome and still stand atop 'your Everest' (I know what you are saying), kudos, and I for one would be honored to hike with you sir.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

We all have our own personal "Everest". Congrats.
14ers will get easier, the more of them you do.
Keep the fire burnin!
I gotta get me an Avatar.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Corn, you had commented on my conditions report for Bierstadt back in May and we figured out that we briefly met that day while hiking. I think I took a picture of you and your wife.

It's a humbling experience to recognize that every person you run into and every person you see has a story of their own. Everyone has their own passions and misgivings, triumphs and defeats, dreams and fears, love and heartache. And yet we usually do nothing more than say hi and move on with our day.

So, thanks for sharing your story and your experience. Best of luck in all of your future adventures!
elhombre
14ers: 31 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elhombre »

You are a real hero! Thanks for your story and I hope God continues to heal and bless your family. Keep kicking Mr. Gravity's ass!
"You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large." Thomas Sowell
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Awesome job Corn! You are inspirational!