Elks or sangres this weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NittanyLion14er
14ers: 58 
13ers: 75 2
Trip Reports (1)

Elks or sangres this weekend?

Post by NittanyLion14er »

Hoping for a final climb before winter settles in. Looking for any weather/route info specifically for castle/conun combo or anything in sangres where snow won't be a route issue. Thanks all :-k
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Elks or sangres this weekend?

Post by Justin9 »

I wonder if snow will be an issue on Lindsey? I doubt it and would be up for a climb there on Sunday if you are looking for anyone to go with.
matthewbe
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matthewbe »

I'm also curious about how much snow would be on Lindsey as I'm probably gonna head down for a Friday climb, maybe another one Saturday or Sunday down there...
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com
fairy_dust_61788
14ers: 42 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fairy_dust_61788 »

If you're looking to avoid snow I wouldn't recommend the elks....they're all pretty with that white stuff on them right now. Not sure what the weekend will be like, we're expecting sun on Saturday and sunday so if I'd suggest climbing Sunday to let the mtns thaw some. A couple of the mtns even had snow below treeline yesterday.
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

I'm heading up there this weekend as well and was looking at doing Castle/Conundrum. I don't necessarily mind a small amount of snow, any idea if it's significant and I'd need something more than microspikes? Also, does anyone have suggestions on lower elevation day moderate-strenuous hikes in the Maroon Bells area? If it looks like the C/C is too snowy then my friends and I agreed to do something lower in the Maroon Bells area but I don't even know where to begin there.

EDIT: We're aiming for Saturday for potential summit or hike if that means anything.
Chary
14ers: 35  1  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chary »

I am also interested in the CA/CO combo on Saturday. Any beta about snow coverage is greatly appreciated.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

snow above 11k right now and it's been pretty chilly the last 2-3 days...if the sun comes out the southern exposures will melt fast
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

not sure if this helps, but this shot is on Mt. CB yesterday (9/27/2012) looking west, gothic mtn in the near right.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6723_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NittanyLion14er
Trip Reports (1)

Hey all, based on replies I've changed plans and now heading down to Belford/ox combo so that my buddy can close out the sangres. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday. Last minute decision tonite. 6-7am TH start time
NittanyLion14er
Trip Reports (1)

Sorry meant sawatch
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Some shots of the Elk 14ers this morning. Trail runners were ok but not ideal above 12,500ish on north aspect.

jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

The Crestones have significantly less snow, and likely not to get more:

"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."