Hiking Decalibron Friday Morning

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
michaellyons
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking Decalibron Friday Morning

Post by michaellyons »

I have recently joined the 14er club and hiked 5 of them this summer. Quickly loving this hobby, I wanted to do Decalibron this Friday. I will be keeping an eye on the weather and since I am pretty novice, it will need to be clear for me to do this. With that being said, I do not want to over analyze but do not want to put myself at risk. With the recent snow, I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect and gear that is a must have. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all!!!
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking Decalibron Friday Morning

Post by SikYou »

I have not been up there recently but a little snow is not a problem up in that area. The trail is pretty straight forward and I couldn't see needing more than just miro-spikes and trekking poles if there is a decent amount of snow. The only advice I really have is to not come down the south slope fo Bross if it is snowy, turn back and desend by going back over Cameron and then back down the standard route. That south Bross is a slippery mess even in dry conditions.
Last edited by SikYou on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slower than Scott P.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Here's the weather:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... Template=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd definitely count on snow and ice on the route - definitely second the microspikes and poles recommendation. Also agree with the recommendation to come back over Cameron, definitely would avoid going down (or up) Bross with the addition of snow and/or ice.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
michaellyons
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by michaellyons »

Thank you very much for the advice! Will be taken!
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

We did this hike around the same time of the year last year and found conditions that would warrant micro spikes on the ridges. Depending on how much snow falls in the area this week you could encounter some deeper drifts so waterproof boots and pants would also potentially be needed. Waterproof gaitors would supplement non waterproof pants. At the Kite Lake trailhead you should be able to assess how much snow is in the area as you get a good view of what to expect.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

I was up there the weekend of the 16th, and the trail was pretty much entirely clear for the whole route (very slight amount of snow in a few shaded areas, but nothing that required any type of snow planning). There has probably been a bit of snow up there from this latest storm, but I still doubt that it is anything you'll need to worry too much about at this point. If the snow pans out the way the forecast is indicating, then you might consider some microspikes, as has been suggested.

I also agree with the post that mentioned the descent from Bross as being the sketchiest part with snow. It's a bit steeper and looser when you head back toward Kite Lake from Bross. But, it's still just a steeper section of trail, nothing technical.

I posted these shots in another thread on this subject, but in case you missed that one, here's what it looked like up there on the 15th of September:
Attachments
This was the snowiest area, near the top of Lincoln
This was the snowiest area, near the top of Lincoln
DSCN3674.JPG (85.71 KiB) Viewed 420 times
This shot shows Bross, and a slight amount of snow over there.  It was also avoidable
This shot shows Bross, and a slight amount of snow over there. It was also avoidable
DSCN3672.JPG (128.65 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Here's a shot from Democrat's summit, showing Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross
Here's a shot from Democrat's summit, showing Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross
DSCN3633.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 420 times