Longs Peak Chasm View

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dhaines
Trip Reports (0)

Longs Peak Chasm View

Post by dhaines »

Last weekend (9/16) I followed many others up Longs Peak. Instead of going directly to the Keyhole, I decided to check out Chasm View which is said to be quite a view, and the start of the Cable Route. I'm not a technical climber, so Chasm View was my destination. Either I took the wrong route, or the climb up to it was a bit more than I thought it would be. Toward the end, there I thought there was some hard scrambling, and I kinda wished I had a helmet to make me feel better if I took a misstep on some loose rock. Ice was also just starting too form too. In the end, I made it up, and the edge was quite dramatic. I gotta say, this was the first time I felt uncomfortable about the height, so I couldn't quite bring myself to complete edge of the cliff.

Here's a panorama of the view. It's a nice view and I wish I could have gotten closer to the edge to get Chasm Lake too. Might be helpful for you technical climbers to see how it starts out.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=976 ... 0f204eb527

I like doing these panorama's and photosynths (coolest Microsoft product ever), so it would be great to know if these are useful or not.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Longs Peak Chasm View

Post by DaveSwink »

Anyone who downloads the software at the other end of this link should re-consider your approach to network security. Dhaines is probably a good guy but this is his first post. If you want to download the photosynch app, I recommend going out to the photosynth.net website on your own to get it.
dhaines
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dhaines »

Thanks dswink for accusing me on my first post of being either a spammer or a some virus spreader. A great way to be welcomed into the forum. Even so, I feel a need to educate you.

While PhotoSynth* technology, developed by Microsoft, is not as commonly known. The "App" you refer to is called Silverlight*. It's Microsoft's answer to Adobe's Flash. It's a plug in required for WinXP and Vista. This is a common plug in, required by many websites. For instance, if you stream Netflix, you are using Silverlight. It's installed by default in Win7. Unfortunately it won't run in Linux, and to be honest I'm not sure about Macs. I'm with you, plug-ins suck, but there here with us for at least another 3 years.

So NO, you don't need to "download the photosynch app" to view the image.

If the forum used modern internet technology that let you embed iframes, then I could have just embedded the panorama. But it doesn't. So I just posted a link. If that's such a taboo on this site about links then the administrations should remove the option. The full link was posted so users could clearly see what they were clicking on. And if users question the site, they could just go to the root to see what the site is about.

I did ask for feedback. So if you want flat low-res photos, that's fine. I just figured higher resolution of 360-views would be more useful to the members of the form. However if posting a link, on a webpage, is too much then I can easily just post pictures.

BTW, If you want to CREATE panoramas or synth's you will need to download Microsoft apps, but I didn't post about creating anything.

* Feel free to google the terms "photosynth", "silverlight", or "microsoft ice" (ice is used to create the panoramas that are then posted in to photosynth). If you find that these are not legitimate (and free) products, please spread the word as there is millions of people who think they are.
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

Loved it! And brought back a lot of memories.
Thanks a million!
-bob
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Dhaines,

My post was not personal, nor was it related to photosynth or silverlight software. It is bad network (and personal computer) security to download executables to your computer directly from a link posted in a forum, especially from an OP who joined the same day, since you have no way of knowing what you are actually downloading. If you disagree any particulars in that last sentence, please discuss further. Please don't try to read insult into my statement. It is just not there. I did not discourage anyone from getting the software, and only suggested going directly to the photosynth.net website.

I did not accuse you of being a spammer or anything but a probable good guy. Please read my post again.

I have been working as a network security professional thirteen years now.

I believe strongly in courtesy in posting to online forums (feel free to search my posts), and I would readily apologize if I thought my post was rude. Hopefully, we will hike together sometime in the future and you will see where I am coming from even if you don't agree.

Oh, and welcome to 14ers.com. :-D
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

dswink wrote:Anyone who downloads the software at the other end of this link should re-consider your approach to network security. Dhaines is probably a good guy but this is his first post. If you want to download the photosynch app, I recommend going out to the photosynth.net website on your own to get it.
The link provided by the original post IS the photosynth.net website.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee30 ... cerned.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

When I click on the link provided, it requires me to download the program to view it.
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

So, I should probably just let this thread go since I seem to be making a mess of it, but I am gonna try to fix my poor previous postings.

First, welcome to 14ers.com, dhaines, sincerely.

Second, 3D panorama pics sound intriguing. A 3D pic looking over Chasm View sounds head-spinning. Hopefully, this a technology that Bill can integrate into the web site soon.

Third, what I meant to say (without intending offense to dhaines) is that a good network security practice is to never download applications directly from a link posted in a forum or sent to you in an email. Instead, good directly to the source website to get the software. This is because phishing techniques can be used to direct you to a malicious website (which looks legit) instead, which will substitute/add-on bot software or ask you to divulge private information.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

dhaines wrote:Thanks dswink for accusing me on my first post of being either a spammer or a some virus spreader...
This is a ridiculously defensive stance to take after posting a link that requires downloading of software. Dswink explicitly stated that he meant no offense and was simply looking out for the good of the community.

Much like ebay where you can't sell items without some "street credit" you can't post links to software downloads as you first and only post without receiving a bit of skepticism. Either way Dswink's advice to download the software directly from the producers website is excellent advice.

Welcome to 14ers, don't take anything too personally. Instead be impressed by a community that looks out for one another.
Last edited by Dave B on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Randy
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randy »

I enjoyed that alot, welcome to 14ers.com. I wqent ahead and downloaded the software, hope the library doesnt mind :shock:
castricone7
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by castricone7 »

I didn't need to download anything...must be my lucky day. Great panorama.