Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Man Jerk
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Post by Man Jerk »

Service will be Wednesday at 1pm at mountain springs church off of woodmen/powers.
Yog
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Yog »

Very sorry to hear about this. I was on Maroon when we heard the helicopters as well, was hoping things would turn out alright, but found out otherwise on the summit.

ManJerk- Thank you for stepping up for Derek's kids, that's very honorable and noble of you. I'm very sorry for your loss, as well as for the loved ones left behind.

For all those that witnessed the event, I wish you strength and peace. Again, not enough kudos can be given to SAR.

Sunny - It was nice to meet you and your climbing partner up there. I don't recall Jim's screen name, but if you read this, it was nice to meet you as well, and climb with all of you. Sunny, the text went through to Denver, so all was well. Thanks for letting me use your phone. All my loved one's heard that a 30 something male had fallen on the Bells, so it was a very important text to get out.
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I contacted 850 KOA and asked them to stop saying that he was "climbing without a harness" on the newscasts. The News Director replied to me with this:
Thanks for your note. We appreciate your expertise.
Not sure what that means, but hopefully they will stop reporting this irrelevant and misleading detail.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

djkest wrote:I contacted 850 KOA and asked them to stop saying that he was "climbing without a harness" on the newscasts. The News Director replied to me with this:
Not sure what that means, but hopefully they will stop reporting this irrelevant and misleading detail.
Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
balto68
14ers: 8 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by balto68 »

I was at Maroon Lake with family on Saturday... one of the most beautiful days I can remember this year. We saw the SAR helicopter high up on the mountain, and all we could say was that we hoped no one had been killed.

What a tragedy. Prayers and condolences for friends and family, and a big thank you to the SAR personell.
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

Sincere condolences go out to Derek's family and friends. May those who witnessed this tragedy find peace and comfort.
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

Very sorry to hear about this.. Condolences to his family and friends during this difficult time..
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
RamanDestroyer
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RamanDestroyer »

I didn't know you, but you died like man doing what is good. You met a honorable end, be proud of what you achieved.
dave_navy_VA
14ers: 41 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dave_navy_VA »

I just hate this kind of news. Any young man like you that aspires to a healthy and positive way to spend a day like this - then suddenly leaves us - is an awful loss. RIP my friend.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Gareth wrote:
djkest wrote:I contacted 850 KOA and asked them to stop saying that he was "climbing without a harness" on the newscasts. The News Director replied to me with this:
Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.
I am not positive but I think the reference to the absence of a harness is an effort to eliminate the failure of an anchor, rope, hardware or climbing partner's belay in the case of a fallen climber. In addition, the section where the fall originated is a section many climbers elect to "rope up and down on". Just thought to offer a different perspective. Hope it help those who may have been offended
Nathan Hoobler
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

Here are some climbing pics of Derek:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 990c3dbbfd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flintster
14ers: 45 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flintster »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

Here are some climbing pics of Derek:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 990c3dbbfd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are great pics from some great routes. Looks like quite the mountaineer. Thanks for sharing those.