"The Castles" near Gunnison

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

"The Castles" near Gunnison

Post by Bob Kocher »

I'm looking for info on "The Castles" which are northwest of Gunnison. They're rock formations/towers on a ridge just above treeline. I think they're visible from Ohio Creek Rd as you drive northwest out of Gunnison.

Has anyone hiked to them? I'm trying to find info on a trailhead, how long is the approach, is there any scrambling (I hope so!) and if there's any non-technical routes up any of them.

Thanks!
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: "The Castles" near Gunnison

Post by Floyd »

If you mean the ones along the trail to West Elk Peak, then they are technical. Scott Rogers posted asking for some info on climbing them a while ago and I don't think he got any useful feedback. The hike in looks excellent and West Elk seems to be a great (albeit gentle) 13er. It's a long hike that I hope to do with my family in the next couple of years.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: "The Castles" near Gunnison

Post by ajkagy »

it's a pretty long hike, and the trailhead is just south of ohio pass. The west elk wilderness is pretty awesome. More than likely you'll see very few people or be totally alone out there. You'll see a lot more horses/people up there in the fall when the elk hunts start. The west elks have the largest amount of aspens in Colorado and I would recommend going in Mid Sept. The fall colors are just starting up around here and might be a week earlier peaking than they usually do.

Here's a good resource: http://www.summitpost.org/west-elk-peak/151963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;