Just a friendly reminder

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
CO Native
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (28)

Re: Just a friendly reminder

Postby CO Native » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:54 pm

There's also something to be said for not driving 300 miles only to find out you can't get within 10 miles of the trailhead. Or driving your 30 mpg car because the TH is in good shape instead of the 15 mpg Jeep.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Navigaiter
14er Checklist (46)
13er Checklist (48)

Postby Navigaiter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 pm

CO Native wrote:There's also something to be said for not driving 300 miles only to find out you can't get within 10 miles of the trailhead. Or driving your 30 mpg car because the TH is in good shape instead of the 15 mpg Jeep.

Very true. Don't get me wrong, I'll always check the conditions too, but I just found the way the OP asked it to be amusing (not in a derogatory way).
Tornadoman
14er Checklist (43)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (26)

Postby Tornadoman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I see the original poster's point. Seems that there are a lot of trip reports for most mountains but not trailhead updates can be few and far between (sometimes I am sure there is no need for an update, as the road may not have changed). As someone who drives 8 to 13 hours from Kansas usually with a passenger car I do check descriptions before all of my trips, and have contributed to them when appropriate.
highpilgrim
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (69)

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:09 pm

bking14ers wrote:People. It was "just a friendly reminder"... I think we all missed the point of this little exercise. Some updates are very old. It only takes one big gully washer to change a TH. Are we clear now?

I'm clear that you want a "paint by numbers" climbing experience. Weather and road conditions change, sometimes by the hour. Updated TH status is not always sensitive to that; it responds to seasonal changes (opening and closing) and significant events like closed for elk calving season or a mudslide on the shelf road. It doesn't respond to, OMG, the road is wet and slippery.

Plan for alternatives if something disrupts your initial plans. The whole state is full of great alternatives.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
SkiBikeClimb99
14er Checklist (36)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby SkiBikeClimb99 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm

blazebo wrote:
JDip wrote:I agree with JROSKA, you can't just go off of a trip report or a trailhead status update or whatever. There are different sources to get information from - especially weather. That information isn't always correct either. This site is great for what it provides, but shouldn't be expected to always be right.

maybe we should have a hand holding class at the next happy hour. no offense, but if you cant do due diligence on weather, conditions, and traffic, you have no business climbing anything more than a bunk bed. ](*,)

I gotta say, I've been somewhat turned off by your replies in the the past, but this one has me laughing my ass off. Thanks, I needed this laugh tonight!

Return to “Trailheads, Roads, and Camping”