Aconcagua 2012/2013

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Aconcagua 2012/2013

Post by shredthegnar10 »

Yeah, I figured we could probably go faster, especially if we did some acclimatization prep in Colorado before leaving. I do want to plan in a couple of extra days for bad weather though.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Hi,

Was there awhile ago: 2008.

If you want a sample of a gear list, etc, I'd be happy to e-mail it to you.
Stayed in a nice hotel in Mendoza:
http://www.elportalsuites.com.ar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did the Vacas Valley to Plaza Argentina to Summit to Plaza de Mula exiting Horcones way.
Our route was the false Polish Traverse.
Used full on guide services Grajales. It was a good way to go for a first time expedition.
Learned a lot.

I loved every step of it, well almost every step.
I loved the landscape, the climb, the people, Mendoza, the wine, the route, the asadas on the trail, the mules and the MOUNTAIN.
I could live there for a bit easy.
It is big, and making it to the top is awesome.
Recommend a wine tour: Cantena Zapata:
http://www.catenawines.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reading through this thread, you have a lot of good perspectives and ideas.
Good luck and safe journey.

Uwe
dburkat
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dburkat »

Hi there,

I was planning a similar trip going in the early season (starts Nov 15). I was planning on taking the false polish route, and connecting with the Normal Route to traverse the mountain (have 18-day itinerary). The route is also non-technical, but might be somewhat more interesting. I know late Dec tends to be more popular, but thinking the added snow/ice cover in early season may make travel easier and scenery more pleasant. I've got together some basic logistics together, have been training, and am looking for partner/s. Let me know if interested, thanks.
Upstate Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upstate Hiker »

I have been living in the Andes for the last 3 months and plan on being here through the winter. I would love a Colorado climbing buddy. Keep me posted :)