The 14ers.com dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cbusman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The 14er.com dogs

Post by cbusman »

I wonder how many of these dogs will ultimately die on a mountain? One mistake and they are dead because their owner drug them up on a mountain thinking it would never happen to "THEIR" beast of a dog that is so strong and smart and blah blah blah. One dead dog on a mountain is too many! How many dogs die on a 14er every year that we don't know about? I bet it is far more than any of you would ever admit...
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

cbusman wrote:I wonder how many of these dogs will ultimately die on a mountain? One mistake and they are dead because their owner drug them up on a mountain thinking it would never happen to "THEIR" beast of a dog that is so strong and smart and blah blah blah. One dead dog on a mountain is too many! How many dogs die on a 14er every year that we don't know about? I bet it is far more than any of you would ever admit...
Dude thats a messed up comment . . . this forum was one of the few positive ones until you showed up. Get lost we don't need your negativity. There are plenty of other forums right now for that.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Budwac
14ers: 12 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Budwac »

I noticed some people on here thinking about getting a dog, and I wouldn't feel right if I didn't mention Lifeline Puppy Rescue. It's where I got my dog, and it is a fantastic place. They are a no kill shelter, and they only carry puppies, which are sometimes hard to find. Granted, you never know what you're going to get, most likely a lab and whatever jumped the fence, but still it's an AWESOME place. Only open on the weekend for a total of 8 hours, first come first serve (it's almost like Black Friday when they open the gates!!), but a great place to find a puppy.
ATOMEMT
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ATOMEMT »

Back to original thread. Gore Range.
Attachments
SAGE SNOW LAKE 7.1.jpg
SAGE SNOW LAKE 7.1.jpg (306.11 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

Great topic. I can never pass up the oportunity to show people pictures of my babies. All three are rescues. The two little ones are 16 years old and still healthy.
IMG_0632_1.jpg
IMG_0632_1.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
The big one, Corbin died last summer :cry: He was the best backcountry partner ever
Csmile_1.jpg
Csmile_1.jpg (75.18 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
I miss Corbin a lot, so I sometimes have to borrow my friend Rachel's dog, Odin. He used to be a homeless man's dog. The man was dying and he told Rachel (a social worker) that he was very afraid that Odin, his only friend in the world, would be alone after he died. Rachel promised the man that she would take care of Odin.
021_1.jpg
021_1.jpg (123.67 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."
Leigh
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Leigh »

kara wrote:
Sometimes applications and interviews and home visits prevent the wrong people (take that how you will) from ending up with an animal they're not prepared to take care of. That, in the end, is better for the animal in question. Pretty friggin' simple.
Ding ding ding! Rescues are a pain in the ass because we get tired of stupid excuses from people who don't know any better and adopt dogs only to return them months later. If you're not willing to jump through a few hoops to save a dog, it may also be likely that you lack the patience to care for a dog. It's not just to keep bad dog owners out, there are sick sick people out there who want dogs for fighting, torturing and anything else sick that you can imagine.

Like this guy:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing wrong with the humane society, but it's frustrating when people think "it's too much work" to go through a rescue group.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Here's my Sasha on morning squirrel patrol in Grand Teton National Park. She loves 14ers but has only done two so far since I am reluctant to tear her paws up...
Attachments
A_sasha.jpg
A_sasha.jpg (271.75 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
JenGa
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

I miss Corbin a lot, so I sometimes have to borrow my friend Rachel's dog, Odin. He used to be a homeless man's dog. The man was dying and he told Rachel (a social worker) that he was very afraid that Odin, his only friend in the world, would be alone after he died. Rachel promised the man that she would take care of Odin.
021_1.jpg
Sorry to hear about Corbin, it's so hard losing a dog. Odin is one lucky pup to find such a good home with Rachel and people who will take him to climb mountains, though :)
Fishdude
14ers: 58 
13ers: 144
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fishdude »

Non-14er climbers but no squirrels get past them.
They can go a couple of miles up to 12,000 feet.
The pug pack
The pug pack
IMG_0095.JPG (71.37 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

p.s. ^^^ left to right: Bonnie, Louie, Clyde. Bonnie & Clyde are siblings. Louie was a rescue (not sure who was "rescued"). :iluvu:
Last edited by sunny1 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
schoch and awe
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by schoch and awe »

I know I won't be satisfied until there are personal dog peak lists.
There have been joys too great to be described in words, and there have been griefs upon which I have not dared to dwell, and with these in mind I say, climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Edward Whymper, Scrambles Amongst the Alps
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

schoch and awe wrote:I know I won't be satisfied until there are personal dog peak lists.
I think I need to write down Kussum Kanguru's peak list. Pretty easy for 14ers- Castle.
But she has done a bunch of 13ers and a few 12ers. Grizzly Peak, Peak C, Grand Traverse, Sopris, Daly,...
A few more I forget. Maybe she needs to be on list of johns.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes