What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.
User avatar
dcbates80911
Posts: 798
Joined: 6/28/2007
14er Checklist (32)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (9)
Contact:

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby dcbates80911 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:23 pm

guitarman wrote:So I am new to this website and really only looked at it because of a Denver Post article on Missy the ABANDONED dog left by her owner to die alone in the mountains. I am an animal activist not a mountain climber. I think that jsut because you want to climb doesn't mean your dog wants to or is even capable of this. Unfortunately for dogs, they have complete loyalty to their owners an would follow them to their deaths because of this loyalty. I saw many posts on this story supporting this owner and some saying "it's my dog and I'll do what I want" (paraphrasing). I don't think you people who voice these opinions should even own animals. You are way too selfish and self centered. I am reiderating these thoughts because whoever runs this website decided my post wasn't inline with his philosohies and deleted my post. Oh well, no pesky 1st Amendment rights around here. So in closing I won't bother looking at this website again since it is so closeminded that it would support someone leaving his dog to die on a mountain and not even having the humanity to call someone to let them know what had happened. I hope he gets prosecuted and definitely loses Missy.


Dude...first, get a life. Second, get informed before you spout off and express yourself as an idiot. Nothing you say in your rant is or has ever been true from accusations against the climbing community (and their hatred for animals) to the accused censoring. I do have to say thanks for giving me a good laugh.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
User avatar
crossfitter
Posts: 893
Joined: 7/7/2009
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby crossfitter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:30 pm

There are two types of people in this thread:

Image
and

Image
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

peter303
Posts: 2640
Joined: 6/17/2009
14er Checklist (34)

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby peter303 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Last edited by peter303 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kansas
Posts: 673
Joined: 7/20/2008
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:33 pm

like playing whack-a-mole
Attachments
awesome.jpg
awesome.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 661 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
User avatar
kansas
Posts: 673
Joined: 7/20/2008
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: It's the Weekend - Go Climbing an F-ing Mountain!!!

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:35 pm

anna wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:
kansas wrote: Dammit, Terry.

Lets try this again.



Women only need 1 rule for men:

The female always makes The Rules.

:mrgreen:


How do you keep escaping the kitchen?
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
User avatar
crossfitter
Posts: 893
Joined: 7/7/2009
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: It's the Weekend - Go Climbing an F-ing Mountain!!!

Postby crossfitter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:35 pm

anna wrote:

Women only need 1 rule for men:

The female always makes The Rules.

:mrgreen:


Image
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

User avatar
kansas
Posts: 673
Joined: 7/20/2008
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: It's the Weekend - Go Climbing an F-ing Mountain!!!

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm

anna wrote:
kansas wrote:
anna wrote:Women only need 1 rule for men:

The female always makes The Rules.

:mrgreen:


How do you keep escaping the kitchen?


I take the batteries out of the tv remote and hide them from Butch ... in the cat litter. When Butch can't find the batteries, he runs off to the store to buy more.


Butch must be a special feller. Better hold on to that one.
Attachments
Stupid Man.jpg
Stupid Man.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 533 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
User avatar
douglas
Posts: 71
Joined: 6/13/2010
14er Checklist (20)

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby douglas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm

live4pc wrote:
tmathews wrote:Odd, I haven't seen any of the Denver stations report this yet, but here's a tidbit from a Colorado Springs station: http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Strangers-Band-Together-For-Dog-Rescue-From-Mt-Bierstadt-166468416.html

The Clear Creek County Sheriff’s office investigated the case and found the dog’s owner was Anthony Joseph Ortolani. He is charged with cruelty to animals and due to appear in court on October 16.


I guess it's true. This just hit the DP: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21337462/man-who-left-dog-colorado-mountain-faces-animal


What a waste of time and money for all involved. Why don't the authorities put their time in prosecuting REAL criminals committing REAL crimes!?!?
Oh well, not my state not my tax money. :wink:


Am I missing something here? The community here thinks he should have tried harder. He called search and rescue, who told him they couldn't get the dog. He couldn't get it himself. To the mildly experienced hiker I would think search and rescue would be the ultimate authority and have the ultimate ability for a rescue. Other than coming to this board for help (which apparently he didn't know about), most people wouldn't know of any other place to look for help. Most people wouldn't feel comfortable asking random strangers to put themselves at risk. Bad judgement? Not in my opinion - just lack of knowing where to get help.
Punishing him by taking away his dog or trying to prosecute him doesn't benefit anyone - especially not the dog. As I said before, I suspect this will now be a very loved and spoiled dog.
That being said...
Image
User avatar
darryle
Posts: 27
Joined: 10/14/2010
14er Checklist (10)
13er Checklist (1)

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby darryle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:51 pm




That would be Clear Creek County Sheriff and I would assume this would be the misdemeanor charge and not a felony charge *

*I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
tmathews
Posts: 3852
Joined: 7/2/2008
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby tmathews » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Image
evepin
Posts: 9
Joined: 8/13/2012
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby evepin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:57 pm



YES! A tough lesson for Missy's PRIOR owner...you just cannot walk away from your injured pet, leaving it to die a miserable and slow death,
just because it's not convenient to do anything about it. Hopefully he just pleads guilty and agrees to give up any claims to Missy in exchange
for further prosecution or jail time. Nice way to start the weekend, knowing that here in Colorado we protect the rights of ALL animals.
User avatar
denvermikey
Posts: 437
Joined: 8/9/2007
14er Checklist (49)
13er Checklist (50)

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby denvermikey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Come on...for the old people and the kids


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Return to “Pets on Peaks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests