Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by Derek »

edhaman wrote:To reply to, but not necessarily answer, Derek's question: I have done the Sawtooth and have downclimbed from Mt. Evans Road to the Abyss Lake valley. I have not climbed from Abyss Lake to where the dog was seen, but I've read a few trip reports of people who have and said it is miserable. Based on all of that, my thought is that going down to Abyss Lake, across the Abyss Lake valley, and up the scree gulley to Mt. Evans Road would be of equal or worse difficulty than going back up the scree to Bierstadt's summit. I had mentioned this in a previous post on this thread, figuring others (hopefully with more experience in the area) would comment on which would be a better route, but nobody did.
I didn't think the short distance between the lake and the ridge exceeded class 2 the times I've been there. Definitely easier than the distance between the spot and the summit. Just figured 3-4 miles and 1200 or so feet RT would be easier than up and over Bierstadt twice.

Hope someone gets the pup. If I wasn't sitting with a sick baby I'd run up there!

--D
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Hard to believe someone is demented enough to initiate this as a hoax, BUT... why have they not responded to this thread after the first post? Seems strange that they wouldn't have checked in and made some further comments, eh?
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Waggs
14ers: 26  2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Waggs »

More (very) amateur detective work....

Look closely at the lower right hand corner of the pic, notice the pant leg?

Indicative of a posed for photo perhaps?

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach
Waggs
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Waggs »

In addition, I believe that Bill has mad hacker skilz to identify the geographic location of the OP by IP address.

Just anther thought.

(edit)

And one after after thought....

I'd be curious if this is the same individual that started the recent (now deleted) dog on 14ers thread.

Waggs
cirquesmidjit
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cirquesmidjit »

I was able to avoid the scree gully leading down to Abyss Lake from Mt. Evans Rd. by parking near 13,200', then going around Epaulet Mtn. This takes you to the grassy slope that leads down to the basin. Not as direct, but avoids the scree. And the view of the basin from the top of the slope is outstanding.

Also the reverse number look up isn't as telling as suggested due to the fact that, in the age of cell phones, many people don't change their number after a move (according to the look up, this is a cell). I've lived here for over 6yrs and if you looked up my phone number it would tell you that I lived in Rochester, NY.

As for the photo being "posed" - Maybe they just wanted to get a pic of the dog. Not intending it to be a professional looking shot, no attention was paid to what(or whom)ever else was in the frame. Or maybe the person was (mostly) cropped out? Either way, it serves the purpose of showing the dog.
Waggs
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Waggs »

cirquesmidjit wrote:

As for the photo being "posed" - Maybe they just wanted to get a pic of the dog. Not intending it to be a professional looking shot, no attention was paid to what(or whom)ever else was in the frame. Or maybe the person was (mostly) cropped out? Either way, it serves the purpose of showing the dog.
Agreed.

There's also some disparity in the time stamps:

wash
by wash » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 7.40.04 PM.png (170.9 KiB) Viewed 706 times

Waggs
screeman57
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Waggs wrote:
I'd be curious if this is the same individual that started the recent (now deleted) dog on 14ers thread.

Waggs
Ah, so someone manufactures this "crisis" in an attempt to drive home a point about bringing dogs on scrambling routes. And in so doing, they manipulate people's good will and sympathies, waste everyone's time and mental/emotional energy, and put several people in danger.

This makes me sick.
brsuperstar_
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brsuperstar_ »

Hi everyone, I'm one of the guys that went up last night in hopes of finding the dog. First, being a dog owner, this hit home and I immediately called Scott, the original poster. He explained that he had talked to a vet and that the vet was concerned if the dog is in the described shape, that she might not survive the night up there. Scott was not making this up, he was set to join us last night but thought he would wait till light. My buddy and myself have done bierstadt and sawtooth a few times, so we went up to help and met two others that were eager to help as well. There were about 30 people on the mountain last night for the meteor shower. We left the trailhead at 1130 and were searching the summit a little over 2 hours later. We had hoped our lights would pick up her eyes or she would answer our calls,whistles, etc. There was no wind in thr area that she was last seen and it was completely silent. We heard nothing. After almost 2 hours, we headed back down. Hopefully other folks searching in daylight will have better luck. Doing this at night was risky yes, but sometimes you just have to HTFU and do what you think is right.
Waggs
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Waggs »

brsuperstar_ wrote:Hi everyone, I'm one of the guys that went up last night in hopes of finding the dog. First, being a dog owner, this hit home and I immediately called Scott, the original poster. He explained that he had talked to a vet and that the vet was concerned if the dog is in the described shape, that she might not survive the night up there. Scott was not making this up, he was set to join us last night but thought he would wait till light. My buddy and myself have done bierstadt and sawtooth a few times, so we went up to help and met two others that were eager to help as well. There were about 30 people on the mountain last night for the meteor shower. We left the trailhead at 1130 and were searching the summit a little over 2 hours later. We had hoped our lights would pick up her eyes or she would answer our calls,whistles, etc. There was no wind in thr area that she was last seen and it was completely silent. We heard nothing. After almost 2 hours, we headed back down. Hopefully other folks searching in daylight will have better luck. Doing this at night was risky yes, but sometimes you just have to HTFU and do what you think is right.
Really?

My final thought on this....

This is a sick hoax. My rational?

(Edit faulty logic below, conclusion still the same...)

How many of you have ever loaded a "screen shot" of an image instead of the image itself?

Begone brsuperstar_ find some place else to play.

Waggs
Last edited by Waggs on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
screeman57
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

brsuperstar_ wrote:Hi everyone, I'm one of the guys that went up last night in hopes of finding the dog. First, being a dog owner, this hit home and I immediately called Scott, the original poster. He explained that he had talked to a vet and that the vet was concerned if the dog is in the described shape, that she might not survive the night up there. Scott was not making this up, he was set to join us last night but thought he would wait till light. My buddy and myself have done bierstadt and sawtooth a few times, so we went up to help and met two others that were eager to help as well. There were about 30 people on the mountain last night for the meteor shower. We left the trailhead at 1130 and were searching the summit a little over 2 hours later. We had hoped our lights would pick up her eyes or she would answer our calls,whistles, etc. There was no wind in thr area that she was last seen and it was completely silent. We heard nothing. After almost 2 hours, we headed back down. Hopefully other folks searching in daylight will have better luck. Doing this at night was risky yes, but sometimes you just have to HTFU and do what you think is right.
Forgive me, as I am a natural skeptic, but who are you? First post? New member?

Yeah, right.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Who called the number provided? Who spoke to OP?

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Carborundum
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Carborundum »

From the context, I would take the "Screen Shot" image to be the route description used to identify the area. But if this is a hoax or a terrible attempt at proving a point, it is just sick. Either way, I truly hope no humans get hurt from rushing their attempts to get up there.
Illegitimi non carborundum!