Multi-day hike near Silverton?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
teaker
Trip Reports (0)

Multi-day hike near Silverton?

Post by teaker »

Hey crew! I am looking for recommendations for a 6-10 day hike near Silverton/Telluride/Durango. Difficulty doesn't make too much difference. Wouldn't mind passing a few beautiful lakes!

Last year we did the Vallecito-->Emerald Lake--> Moon Lake and loved it, so anything similar would be great.

Thanks!
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Re: Multi-day hike near Silverton?

Post by Marmot72 »

The loop you did was a gem...one of the prettiest areas in the state from the photos I've seen. If you've not hiked among the Grenadiers, I would say that's a must -- I think you could do a loop from Molas Pass that would take you southeast into Vestal basin, further east toward Jagged and then north and back west to your car. Pure hiking would only make that a 3 day hike but if you're summiting, then it's quite easy to eclipse 6 days.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
waolsen
14ers: 40  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waolsen »

Marmot72 wrote:The loop you did was a gem...one of the prettiest areas in the state from the photos I've seen. If you've not hiked among the Grenadiers, I would say that's a must -- I think you could do a loop from Molas Pass that would take you southeast into Vestal basin, further east toward Jagged and then north and back west to your car. Pure hiking would only make that a 3 day hike but if you're summiting, then it's quite easy to eclipse 6 days.
You can't go wrong anywhere but I'd agree that the Grenadiers are beautiful. Colorado Trail from Molas Pass up to Lake Eldorado is pretty hard to beat.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

waolsen wrote:
Marmot72 wrote:The loop you did was a gem...one of the prettiest areas in the state from the photos I've seen. If you've not hiked among the Grenadiers, I would say that's a must -- I think you could do a loop from Molas Pass that would take you southeast into Vestal basin, further east toward Jagged and then north and back west to your car. Pure hiking would only make that a 3 day hike but if you're summiting, then it's quite easy to eclipse 6 days.
You can't go wrong anywhere but I'd agree that the Grenadiers are beautiful. Colorado Trail from Molas Pass up to Lake Eldorado is pretty hard to beat.
Option 1: Take the train to Needleton, then hike the loop all the way over to Elk Park back to the train. I think it's in the neighborhood of 40 miles.

Option 2: Hike the Purgatory Creek Trail to Needleton, then do option 1. From Elk Park hike up to Molas Pass. This option adds 15 miles to option 1. You will have to hitch a ride back to the Purgatory Creek Trail.
teaker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teaker »

Barry Raven wrote:
waolsen wrote:
Option 1: Take the train to Needleton, then hike the loop all the way over to Elk Park back to the train. I think it's in the neighborhood of 40 miles.

Option 2: Hike the Purgatory Creek Trail to Needleton, then do option 1. From Elk Park hike up to Molas Pass. This option adds 15 miles to option 1. You will have to hitch a ride back to the Purgatory Creek Trail.
Awesome- all of these recs sound great. Thanks guys!