Leap of Faith on Crestone Needle

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zxbraves
14ers: 58  6  6 
13ers: 46 3 2
Trip Reports (2)

Leap of Faith on Crestone Needle

Post by zxbraves »

***NOT RECOMMENDED***
***HIGHLY DANGEROUS***

Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Leap of Faith on Crestone Needle

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Unless I'm mistaken, that sure looks like the bottom of the cross-over from the west to east gulleys on the return down. To the down-climber's left would be the di-hedral upon landing.

Anyway, I seriously thought of doing that myself. Instead I did a modified version of it where I placed my left foot on a relatively wide foot hold and stepped over quickly in a committing fashion. Would never try that with more exposure; but here it's only 6 or 8 feet down (yeh ok, that's still enough for a bad day).

I haven't done Pyramid yet, so wonder how others rate / compare that more famed "lead of faith"
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, that sure looks like the bottom of the cross-over from the west to east gulleys on the return down. To the down-climber's left would be the di-hedral upon landing.

Anyway, I seriously thought of doing that myself. Instead I did a modified version of it where I placed my left foot on a relatively wide foot hold and stepped over quickly in a committing fashion. Would never try that with more exposure; but here it's only 6 or 8 feet down (yeh ok, that's still enough for a bad day).

I haven't done Pyramid yet, so wonder how others rate / compare that more famed "lead of faith"

The Leap of Faith on Pyramid is grossly overrated. If you are over 6 foot tall its more of a step over, and even if not the exposure is nothing like what the pictures make it out to be. One small little hop and you are over it. I felt like the move on the Needle actually required a little thought, while the leap on Pyramid was really not an issue in the least.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

i just did Pyramid yesterday, and was really disappointed in the leap of faith. L.A.M.E.

I was hoping to sweat a little bit and get a fast heart rate just looking at it. It's a step over, and I'm 5'9"
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

On saturday the "step over" move was a little interesting coming down... perhaps the "crux" of the downclimb. I was eventually able to stretch out and gently lower my foot to solid ground. It was pretty anti-climactic. I thought about jumping but it would have been awkward.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:I haven't done Pyramid yet, so wonder how others rate / compare that more famed "lead of faith"
I did no leaping at all on Pyramid - or on Crestone Needle, for that matter - and I'm just 5'5".
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

metalmountain wrote:
Wish I lived in CO wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, that sure looks like the bottom of the cross-over from the west to east gulleys on the return down. To the down-climber's left would be the di-hedral upon landing.

The Leap of Faith on Pyramid is grossly overrated. If you are over 6 foot tall its more of a step over, and even if not the exposure is nothing like what the pictures make it out to be. One small little hop and you are over it. I felt like the move on the Needle actually required a little thought, while the leap on Pyramid was really not an issue in the least.
What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.

Anyway - good job this weekend, it was awesome to climb some peaks together instead of just rock :D

We have unfinished business to take care of...
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

I Man wrote:
metalmountain wrote:

What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.

Anyway - good job this weekend, it was awesome to climb some peaks together instead of just rock :D

We have unfinished business to take care of...

Fo sho! Those business plans are going in the file with that stupid 8,000 foot peak in Jeffco that spurned my advances.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

I Man wrote:What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.
The 1000' totally loose gully from hell
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

dubsho3000 wrote:
I Man wrote:What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.
The 1000' totally loose gully from hell
Agreed!

The first time I did it was in snow and all I kept thinking was "Wow - this is going to suck in the summer."

Descending from the ridge is without a doubt the crux of Pyramid.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Frontrangeskier »

Man! I cant believe I made it. So Extreme!
I hope everyone realized this is a joke!
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Taillon75 wrote:Man! I cant believe I made it. So Extreme!
I hope everyone realized this is a joke!
So extreme! I realize you're so extremely funny. How could we not know it was a joke?

It's just so freaking...hilarious.

Keep in touch...with yourself.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!