One year anniversary, Sean Wylam 7/24/11.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Re: One year anniversary, Sean Wylam 7/24/11.

Post by Fisching »

From all accounts I know of Sean (I never met him), he was known to be a great individual both on and off the mountain.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Our group of 3 did Snowmass exactly the week after Sean's accident (same route, too). We did not can cancel the planned trip, but to say we were on edge the whole time would be an understatement. Sean was in our thoughts that weekend and pretty much every time I look at Snowmass since then. So glad some good people from this site were able to stay with him and comfort him in his last moments. RIP, Sean.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Jeff, I can only imagine how comforting it must have been for Sean to have you there with him rather than being alone. I hope that the family may find peace in knowing that his memory will not be lost.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

Jeff, this is a rare and encouraging post, and thank you for being committed to the enduring memory of your lost friend, and our lost colleague. I'm sure Sean's family is comforted in knowing that he was not alone up there.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
Climb14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Climb14ers »

Sean and his family are in our prayers
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Losing a member of our small community is never easy. I hope that the family can find peace in that so many people cared about him, even if we didn't know him personally.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Well said and thank you, Jeff. And thanks to Dan, Andrew, Aspen SAR, and other parties as well for their significant contributions.

May Sean rest in peace and may his family find comfort on their trip today. The support the family's provided for each other is incredible.

With his mother's blessing and encouragement, I've posted the account of Sean's passing with hopes that others can know his story, prepare as well as he did, and perhaps gain a bit of respect for our hobby. Please save the debates for the other threads.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12421
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Climbed Snowmass last weekend.

Such a paradox that these mountains that provide beauty, awe, inspiration and joy...can also be so unforgiving.

Thought I did not know Sean, I do vividly recall the accident. I certainly took to heart his memory, and the memory of all of those lost on each particular mountain that I now climb. I believe his tragedy contributed to a more thoughtful and deliberate climbing experience for me on that mountain.

I am sad that my own additional thoughfulness came at such a high cost for someone who, by all indications, was an experienced, cautious and careful climber.

So, in a small way, Sean had (and still has) an impact on me even though I never knew him. Perhaps this is why such a strong bond exists among those who climb and love the mountains the way we do.

Well done, Jeff, in keeping his memory alive. While a sad reminder of our own mortality, reading this thread is a fitting tribute to someone who we, as climbers, can all relate to. Continued prayers to his family.

--jim
areed20
14ers: 50  5  8 
13ers: 74 7 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by areed20 »

Well said Jeff and thanks for posting that Ryan. He has a wonderful and supportive family that will continue to recover from this.