One year anniversary, Sean Wylam 7/24/11.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

One year anniversary, Sean Wylam 7/24/11.

Post by SurfNTurf »

Tomorrow, Tuesday, July 24, is the one-year anniversary of Sean Wylam's death on Snowmass Mountain.

There has been a lot of talk lately about analyzing accidents in the mountains. Sean was experienced, prepared, smart and strong. Please put all the other stuff aside and celebrate a gifted young man who lost his life excelling at what he loved.

His wonderful family is in Snowmass Village this week, and they are some of the most amazing people I've ever met. Please lend your thoughts, wishes, prayers, or whatever you feel comfortable sending their way as they remember the life of their son, who was a role model both in and out of the mountains.

Rest in peace, mountaineer.
P1050099-M.jpg
P1050099-M.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Re: One year anniversary, Sean Wylam 7/24/11.

Post by anasarca76 »

I remember this accident vividly as I had planned to make Snowmass my 14er finisher via the same route later in the year. At about 13,000 with a few inches of new snow and a hiking partner who had less experience and was totally gassed, I chose to turn around, not push our limits and save my finisher for this year. I will say that the Seans tragedy directly contributed to my decision turning around on Snowmass last year and as it served as a reminder of what can happen even in ideal conditions. Rest in peace Sean, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends that he left behind.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I remember that weekend well, it will always stick out as a time when the concern for friends who put themselves in the position - as we often do - really outweighed most every other thing... Few of us knew Sean, but we knew and understood his spirit and probably wouldn't have done anything he did differently. Peace to him and his family on this anniversary of his passing.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Jeff, thank you for posting this. I remember reading about Sean's tragic accident. I just re-read the original thread and it really hit home. I find in it a reminder to make the best of the time we spend with those we love and care about. I hope to summit Snowmass in a few weeks, and although I didn't know him Sean will surely be in my thoughts. Here's to the memory of a great young man who should still be loving life and chasing his dreams.
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

Sean,

You're literally on my mind daily and your name is spoken and alive with every mountain I'm on. Outside of my own wife and children, there aren't any others about whom I can say that. We celebrate you and the impact you made on so many in such a short time.

Dan
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

I too remember reading about this last summer. My thoughts are with the family on this anniversary. Thanks for posting Jeff.
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
RJansen77
14ers: 52  3  9 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (17)

Post by RJansen77 »

I just read through the entire original thread, and as Ben said it hits home even harder to read the comments as the event unfolded. I never met Sean, but I think about him almost every time I'm out in the hills. Heading to Snowmass in a few weeks for the first time, he'll be in my thoughts and prayers, as the family is now.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

wow. i was still new to this site last year, and i don't remember this unfolding. absolutely horrific to read that original thread and realize this stuff happens every year, and it can happen at any given moment. RIP Sean, and I can't imagine how that sticks with you SurfNTurf. That's gotta be powerful.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

I hope the family can read this thread and find that their son was part of a community that is made up of good people who care about each other, my thoughts are with them today.

Jeff, you're a class act.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

RIP, Sean. May your spirit continue to live strong through your family, friends, and through us -- your brothers and sisters of the mountaineering community.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

I did not know Sean but I know the affect his passing had on some of my close hiking buddies listed above who were there when the accident occurred.
tmathews wrote:RIP, Sean. May your spirit continue to live strong through your family, friends, and through us -- your brothers and sisters of the mountaineering community.
Very well said Terry. A big misty eyed plus one here.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

kushrocks wrote:I did not know Sean but I know the affect his passing had on some of my close hiking buddies listed above who were there when the accident occurred.
tmathews wrote:RIP, Sean. May your spirit continue to live strong through your family, friends, and through us -- your brothers and sisters of the mountaineering community.

Well said, Ryan.

I did not know Sean, but have heard him mentioned on many occasions by some of my friends on this site.

The most common theme is "He did everything right and this still happened." A true reminder to us all.

Thanks for starting this thread, Jeff...may he always be remembered.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.