Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nilaoire
14ers: 57 
13ers: 263
Trip Reports (4)

Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Post by nilaoire »

Saw the wonderful report + helmet cam video about a month ago. Anyone been up Thunder in the last two weeks? Is the snow in the couloir rock hard, did you use crampons? Thanks in advance.
dave alex
13ers: 170
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Post by dave alex »

Did you attempt? I was thinking about this one in the next 10 days or so.
nilaoire
13ers: 263
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Post by nilaoire »

Yes, battered and bruised, a boulder attempted to attack me, neither of us got injured greatly. I took lots of pictures, was planning on posting them on 14ers tomorrow. I am hoping that they will make it easier to find the route, there are cairns but they are hard to spot. We actually built or improved a good few cairns towards the top of the pk. The photo's that USA Keller posted on 14ers were a help. There are no gps tracks that I could find, one of my friends plans on posting one on Summit Post shortly. The good news,9a)the rock is much more solid than you might expect for the last 100- 200ft to the top, the really rotten stuff is further down the mountain (b) the traverse to the summit isn't as narrow as I was expecting having watched the helmet cam video. The snow is almost gone, no need even for micro spikes. Any help I can be, just ask. Have fun.