Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Post by wildlobo71 »

I'm posting this as a followup to another thread - Kristen wrote the thread, but probably wasn't aware that it reads not that her husband could be missing, but rather he has a home emergency to get back to. From discussions this morning, Joe has not returned from a hike on Saturday.

I posted this on the usual FB sites.

Hello friends, I'm posting this for a friend of a friend; Kristen's husband Joe left for a hike on Saturday morning and hasn't been heard from since. He didn't leave information on his destination, but it's anticipated it's a 1-3 hour perimeter from the Denver area. He is new to climbing fourteeners and mountains but is experienced in the back country otherwise. He's only been in Colorado for about 2 years so his known skill level is maybe up to Class 2 or 3. Without knowing where exactly he went, I am asking for the family that we all keep a lookout at the trailheads for his car - A 2002 Honda Accord, CO license plate 211VPN, silver in color. If you have seen this car please contact Kristen at 720-354-8111.

Let's all try to help find Joe if we can. Once he gets back we can then talk about the merits of leaving behind information on our plans for when these exact situations happen.
Joe.jpg
Joe.jpg (22.3 KiB) Viewed 6262 times
Joe
Joe Car.jpg
Joe Car.jpg (65.96 KiB) Viewed 6262 times
The car you should look for if you are out.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Missing Hiker - Last seen Saturday

Post by TaylorHolt »

Bump...This should be the "official" thread, or the title for the other one should be changed. Thanks for the great info to get people started on the search. If any more info comes along, please share it. Hopefully they narrow down the search area, and find him quickly.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Did he have an anticipated return time?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

did you call SAR?
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Tigerbear wrote:did you call SAR?
The entire issue is where do they start? How do you mobilize anything when there's no known destination. There's not a state-wide SAR, it's all by county. If he is indeed missing, versus on a long walk-about, we need to locate his vehicle in order to begin a search of that area.

I cannot speak for any actions Kristen may have done regarding notifying any agencies.

He is either not answering his cell phone, or is out of range of service.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Brian C wrote:Did he have an anticipated return time?
No, I don't believe he told anyone.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Not sure if this is a very big deal or not, but maybe small details can be helpful. The Accord pictured is not a 2002. It is at least a 2003. The 2002 looks very different. Again, not sure if this is a big deal or not, but hopefully anything will help.

Hoping for the best outcome...

Without knowing where exactly he went, I am asking for the family that we all keep a lookout at the trailheads for his car - A 2002 Honda Accord, CO license plate 211VPN, silver in color. If you have seen this car please contact Kristen at 720-354-8111.

Joe.jpg
Joe
Joe Car.jpg
The car you should look for if you are out.[/quote]
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
CCSARCAP
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CCSARCAP »

Can't stress enough. This is the last sentence in our mission report for our weekly paper.

"Letting someone know your plans, having enough food and water, knowing how to use a GPS, a charged cell phone, and something that will protect you from the elements are a few of the things that could save your life.

CCSARCAP

Bob
Bob
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

This is what a silver 2002 looks like:
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Muskie5280
14ers: 31 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Muskie5280 »

Just returned from the West Winfield TH and we were the only car there.

Sorry to not be of more help.
usfgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by usfgal »

This may be a stretch, but (assuming he has a computer at work), have someone check the browsing history on it to see which 14ers, if any, he was checking out or possibly could have printed information/maps on. Thoughts and prayers are with you!
TCUTED
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TCUTED »

Took the information down, hoping to get out along the front range Wednesday, hopefully this is resolved by then, but if not I will keep an eye out, also I will pass the information along to anyone else I know heading out! Hoping for the best here!