Aspen area 13er recommendations?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Aspen area 13er recommendations?

Post by PaliKona »

I'm going to be out in Aspen in July and am looking for a relatively easy/moderate and scenic summit hike...a 13er would be great, but not absolutely a must. Any recs for what to look at doing?
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Aspen area 13er recommendations?

Post by peter303 »

Hike south for as long as you want from Independence Pass. Great Views.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Willougby from Snowmass Ski Resort. SarahT has a TR from a Spring a couple of years ago that we used. Incredible views of the Snowmass-Cap ridge and all things in between.

Another great one is Buckskin BM (Maroon Lake TH to Buckskin Pass). See SP Page.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viejo »

Electric Pass/Electric Pass Peak - good trail to the pass, great views.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Electric Pass Peak (13,500) above Cathedral Lake is very nice and looks directly at Castle/Conundrum. Class 2.

Buckskin Benchmark (13,300) near Buckskin Pass is equally as nice. Overlooks Willow Lake, Maroon Bells/Pyramid and Snowmass/Capitol area. Class 2.

For more serious mountaineering endeavors there is Cathedral Peak (13,900) out of Aspen and Grizzly Peak off of Independence Pass (Colorado's tallest 13er). Both are Class 3 climbs.

I also like peter303's suggestion of hiking along Independence Pass/Continental Divide. You could also do this Class 3-4 route above the Lost Man Trail near Independence Pass:

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wherever you go Happy Trails!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Floyd wrote:Another great one is Buckskin BM (Maroon Lake TH to Buckskin Pass). See SP Page.
This is a great hike. It's "virtual class 1" as the off-trail part is still easy and you have nice views of all the other Elk 14ers.

To be clear, you do not go all the way to Buckskin *Pass* to get to Buckskin BM. From Maroon Lake, there's a trail to the north you take well before the pass, then head up towards the west from Willow Pass.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

TravelingMatt wrote: To be clear, you do not go all the way to Buckskin *Pass* to get to Buckskin BM. From Maroon Lake, there's a trail to the north you take well before the pass, then head up towards the west from Willow Pass.
Not to quibble with you Matt but, if the upper basin below Willow Pass has steep snow below the ridge (which it often does through July) it makes things more interesting, which is why I recommended the Buckskin Pass approach. Plus Buckskin Pass is a great hike in its own right even if they don't continue to the summit of Benchmark.

Just my 2 cents.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by kaiman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am

Not to quibble with you Matt but, if the upper basin below Willow Pass has steep snow below the ridge (which it often does through July) it makes things more interesting, which is why I recommended the Buckskin Pass approach. Plus Buckskin Pass is a great hike in its own right even if they don't continue to the summit of Benchmark.

Just my 2 cents.
+1 ... you said it before I could post it, kaiman. Beautiful vistas to be had for that hike not only to Buckskin Pass, but then from Buckskin Pass to Buckskin BM.

Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Fair enough, but we're talking July of a low snow year [-X
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

TravelingMatt wrote:Fair enough, but we're talking July of a low snow year [-X
It looks like August out there right now as far as snow goes :D
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Floyd wrote:Willougby from Snowmass Ski Resort. SarahT has a TR from a Spring a couple of years ago that we used. Incredible views of the Snowmass-Cap ridge and all things in between.

Another great one is Buckskin BM (Maroon Lake TH to Buckskin Pass). See SP Page.
Sounds intriguing...no trail right?
I looked at the TR and am not sure how she got up to Willougby...bushwack up from the Ditch Trail?
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

PaliKona wrote:Sounds intriguing...no trail right?
I looked at the TR and am not sure how she got up to Willougby...bushwack up from the Ditch Trail?
There is a little off-piste stuff between the Ditch trail and the Snowmass Creek trail, but you basically take the Ditch trail until it ends near Snowmass Creek. Cross the creek (easy) and head west until you hit the SC Trail. Not very long at all. You can avoid all that and take the Snowmass Creek trial all the way up but this way saves you some elevation gain. Take the SC trail until 11,100-11,200 when an obvious grassy gully opens up to the summit. If memory serves, there is an open space leading to the gully just before a small cluster of trees and there is even a trail up the gully fairly high on the south side. The Topo is pretty telling. We went from the summit south to Pt. 13,039 and descended easy grass slopes from there or you can continue on for more fun. PM me if you want and I may have some pictures showing the terrain.

This all probably sounds a lot harder than it really is. Astrobassman and I did this first thing in the morning after Cheeseburglar's wedding celebration so we definitely weren't on our "A" game, but it went easy enough and was a nice 1/2 day out. If you go, you will not be dissapointed in the views, I can promise you that.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason