Not Too Difficult Trails Near Lake City?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jerlane
Trip Reports (0)

Not Too Difficult Trails Near Lake City?

Post by Jerlane »

My wife and I will be in Lake City next month and would like to do some hikes while there. I am planning to do Handies, but she's not up for that one. At least not right now. Can you all offer some suggestions on other good hikes it the area? 3-5 miles is probably her comfort zone, maybe closer to the lower number. We'll have a 4runner that is plenty capable and if we had to do a little 4 wheeling to get to the trail head, that would be a bonus.
Thanks in advance!

PS: doesn't really matter if it's a 13er or whatever, but view and scenery is important.
elhombre
14ers: 31 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Not Too Difficult Trails Near Lake City?

Post by elhombre »

I suggest that you drive up Nellie Creek to the trail head of Uncompaghre. From there, head up the trail for about 45 minutes, and you will find yourselfs in a beautiful meadow with great views all around. If you want, you can climb for another hour and get to the saddle where you turn to go up to Uncompaghre. The views are that much nicer there. I think that for the effort, it is one of the nicest hikes to do. AND if it is nice weather and y'all are feeling good, you can take a try at Uncompaghre.
"You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large." Thomas Sowell
HighCountry
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HighCountry »

I can give you two directly from Lake City. Here's a town map that I made, which shows the trail head for Crystal Lake (NW) and Waterdog Lake (NE): http://www.fromthehighcountry.com/lakec ... ionmap.pdf
Wager Gulch is a great hike, too. The trailhead for that is on CR 30, south of Lake San Cristobal.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir, father of the National Parks.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Go to American Basin TH, you hike up to Handies Peak and she can hike up as far as possible (maybe beautiful Sloan Lake) and she can enjoy the wildflowers of American Basin and the Crags in the background. You can pick her up as you return down Handies. FYI, she might be able to summit Handies from the AB TH, it's a relatively easy hike. SJ Ron
Jerlane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jerlane »

Thanks for the tips so far. Any other suggestions on different peaks that we could do together?