Mount Rainier - Emmons Glacier Accident

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Mount Rainier - Emmons Glacier Accident

Post by susanjoypaul »

A park ranger fell to his death during the rescue of four climbers. The roped climbers had slipped and fallen on the glacier, and two needed to be pulled from a crevasse.

To anyone who's heading up there over the next few weeks, please be safe. The Emmons Glacier may appear to be a fairly innocuous route compared to others on the mountain, but even a slip can be fatal. I remember preparing for that route myself: We practiced crevasse rescue over and over again, until we were able to set up the Z-pulley and extricate a "victim" in less than fifteen minutes. We actually got it down to five minutes, but that was under ideal conditions, and not on the side of a mountain - after an exhausting climb - with the wind blowing at 14,000 feet.

RIP Nick Hall.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ue22m.html
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Mount Rainier - Emmons Glacier Accident

Post by nyker »

Just saw that, a shame...does anyone know if the injured climbers were part of a guided group (from RMI or another) or climbing by themselves unguided?
shotgung
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by shotgung »

From reading the article, it sounds like an unguided climb. Article didn't mention guide service.
A project is complete when it starts working for you, rather than you working for it
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

^^^ agree, from the article it sounds like an unguided climb. It would be very hard to pull two people from a crevasse - that's a lot of weight on the rope, with just two others to self-arrest, set up anchors and do a rescue, unassisted.
MtnClimber82
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnClimber82 »

Very humbling. We will be attempting the Emmons route in just under 2 weeks...

Sad news, RIP Nick Hall.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

R.I.P. Sad news and a sobering reminder.

During my own Rainier training, I've had quite a few people not to worry much about crevasse rescue on the "trade routes." I'm glad my team is taking it very seriously.

(thanks again to Fletch, Carl and Marc for instruction the past few months!)
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I was supposed to be headed up the Emmons starting this morning from White River, shite early season weather and winds forecast in the 40-50 mph range for our available summit days had me changing my plane ticket and coming back home.

It was very hard decision to make, considering the preparation that went into that trip, but it really seems like it was the right one.
Make wilderness less accessible.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

Very sad. I myself just got back from the DC route this week.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
seano732
14ers: 7  4 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

Thoughts and prayers to the family. Even though Emmons is considered a "trade route", as others have said, any travel over a crevassed glacier is serious biz. When we did Emmons, both myself and my partner partially punched through the Inter Glacier on the descent. Be safe. Peace.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Ranger Nick Hall - You died while trying to rescue others in trouble. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten. You are a true hero. Rest in Peace
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
CAF
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CAF »

Nice post on the man, Nick Hall, http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Anyone that climbed thru Muir or Schurman over the past few years more than likely ran in to Nick.
RIP
csmcgranahan
14ers: 40 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by csmcgranahan »

A friend and I summitted via the Emmons Route this past Thursday morning. On our descent we watched the Chinook helicopter and other rangers perform the body recovery from above. RIP Nick.