Camera Suggestions

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Camera Suggestions

Post by dehrlich101 »

Thanks for all the help everyone! I decided to go with the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS, found the very last one in stock at the Bestbuy in Lakewood. They even discounted it to $99!

So far it seems like a solid camera, I'll post pictures from it in a trip report in the next few weeks.

Thanks again,

Dan
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hey Tory, POS= Point and Shoot, LOL

Just to clarify, there are some real nice POS cameras out there including the ones I used to have, but the more photos I took, and as I editing them with Photoshop, I realized the limitations of the Prosumer versions and eventually moved to a DSLR with the D70 when it came out. Now, after a few other iterations of the DSLRs have come out, they really have became very capable.
I remember the first photos I saw in print from a Nikon 4MP coopix in like 2001 and I was very impressed then with them (which is why I had gotten one, then another) - but the more you take wildlife shots, esp in lower light, the more I realized I needed more reach and flexibilities in low light.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I have a DSLR but I don't hike with it because it's bulky and heavy. That's why I still use a point-and-shoot camera- who calls them a POS? Wouldn't it be P&S? I have a P&S that is a POS too...
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Ah!, you're right...they're not POS, yes P&S...I was working on something for work called Point of Sales, abbreviated POS and I guess my brain was wired to write that...
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

djkest wrote:I have a DSLR but I don't hike with it because it's bulky and heavy. That's why I still use a point-and-shoot camera- who calls them a POS? Wouldn't it be P&S? I have a P&S that is a POS too...
agreed, piece of s**t camera doesnt give a good first impression
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

For most P&S cameras, POS is an apt descriptor.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

JB wrote:Just got...a Sony NEX-5N...looking forward to getting it into the mountains.
Caroline wrote:I use the NEX-5 and while I'm still learning how to use it, I really really like it a lot so far!
How are these cameras working out for you two?

Anyone else shooting with one of these advanced system type dealys?

Interested in any comment or opinion what-so-ever that I can get about these things. Most curious about how they have performed in below freezing temperatures, if anyone has some personal experience with that.

Wouldn't mind hearing about any models or brands, but I'm interested in the Sony NEX line most of all.

Thanks a lot
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

George James wrote:
JB wrote:Just got...a Sony NEX-5N...looking forward to getting it into the mountains.
Caroline wrote:I use the NEX-5 and while I'm still learning how to use it, I really really like it a lot so far!

Interested in any comment or opinion what-so-ever that I can get about these things. Most curious about how they have performed in below freezing temperatures, if anyone has some personal experience with that.

Wouldn't mind hearing about any models or brands, but I'm interested in the Sony NEX line most of all.

Thanks a lot
Hey George. I've hardly begun to really see what this camera can do, but so far I've been really impressed with it. I haven't had a chance to get it into the cold, so I can't comment there. In fact, most of my use of the camera so far was in the hot and humid jungle of Costa Rica (where it did great.) I doubt that translates to cold and dry Colorado weather, though. I can say that having it has upped my game as a photographer and although I've only done a little video with it the video is ridiculously high quality. A family friend who worked as a photographer for National Geographic in the 1990s and currently in Philly filming footage for news organizations was impressed with the camera too, which came as a good sign. Sorry I can't be more detailed about it, I feel like I still know so little about it that I can't give a thorough review except to say that so far I am very happy with the purchase. It's going to get pricey though, a good zoom lens for under $1000 seems non-existent, and I definitely want a zoom lens.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

George James wrote:

Thanks a lot
Hey George! Like JB99, I'm just starting to see what this camera is capable of. As I'm learning more about photography and using manual settings, I'm loving the camera - very user-friendly and I like that it's got one of the most button-free digital camera designs. Obviously for most functionality of a DSLR, I cannot complain about it's much smaller physical frame. The image quality is stunning. The only thing I was worried about was how to carry it, but I've found a decent way. I also don't like the standard zoom lens it comes with (18-55mm I think), simply because it doesn't zoom in far enough. So I'll have to get the higher zoom lens for it. But I'm loving the fish-eye lens! For awhile I carried my Canon point-and-shoot as a supplemental camera, but after using/learning the NEX more, it's now the only camera I carry. I'm headed to Alaska tomorrow and am hoping I'll have some great opportunities with good weather to play with it in Denali NP.

As far as cold-weather usage - I used it all winter and spring (carrying it on the outside of me) climbing and camping and didn't have any issues. I would like to get a back-up battery though. Hope some of this helps!
AF_Climber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AF_Climber »

Any other feedback on the Sony NEXs? I am looking at the NEX 5R, 6, and 7.

Any experience with their zoom lenses? I also am hoping to use this to film HS baseball games. I don't need to capture a center fielder - but will be ~100-150 feet away capturing a batter or pitcher.

I know that they're expanding their lens lineup. For baseball, their current lense that fits the bill is 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens or 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens

For 14ers, this is looking appropriate 10-18mm f/4 Wide-Angle Zoom Lens.

Just not sure wife is ready to sign off on $1k cor a camera and another $1600 in lenses.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Here's a new option out there. Instead of a phone with a camera, it's a camera with a phone.

http://www.samsung.com/in/promotions/galaxycamera/
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Can someone comment - which of these is better?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-D ... +shoot+10x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D ... B0075SUK14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;