Hiking Mt Toll

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking Mt Toll

Post by PaliKona »

I'm looking to hike Mt Toll from the Mitchel Lake TH. Hiking to Blue Lake is easy enough. Once there, is the easiest route up to the south of the peak? Has anyone here done it - what obstacles are there to be aware of?
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Hiking Mt Toll

Post by TaylorHolt »

Yep. The standard route is to head up to the Pawnee/Toll saddle and then up the Southeast face. It is also frequently done from the Long Lake TH in combination with Pawnee.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Lemmiwinks wrote:Yep. The standard route is to head up to the Pawnee/Toll saddle and then up the Southeast face. It is also frequently done from the Long Lake TH in combination with Pawnee.
What is the slope like? Scree? Grass? Wet?

Also, what's the approx. mileage?

Thanks!
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

PaliKona wrote:
Lemmiwinks wrote:Yep. The standard route is to head up to the Pawnee/Toll saddle and then up the Southeast face. It is also frequently done from the Long Lake TH in combination with Pawnee.

Thanks!
Even easier is to take the Pawnee Pass trail to the pass and hike over Pawnee in route. No need to worry about any scree/vegetation that way.

Pawnee Pass: http://www.thespiritoftherockies.net/sp ... sHike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toll is ~ 0.5 mi/500 feet from Pawnee.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Floyd wrote: Even easier is to take the Pawnee Pass trail to the pass and hike over Pawnee in route. No need to worry about any scree/vegetation that way.

Pawnee Pass: http://www.thespiritoftherockies.net/sp ... sHike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 on the pawnee pass trail, nice hike with plenty of great views and an easy hike from pawnee to toll
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Floyd wrote:
PaliKona wrote:

Thanks!
Even easier is to take the Pawnee Pass trail to the pass and hike over Pawnee in route. No need to worry about any scree/vegetation that way.

I'll agree with that. I think the route from Pawnee is easier. That's the route I took and was also able to do Pawnee and Shoshoni (very cool summit block).

The Mitchell Lake route is more frequently done as a snow climb/ski descent.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

PaliKona wrote:

Thanks!
(from Long Lake TH) The way up to Pawnee is a defined trail to a grassy slope (though this held snow in August when I did it, I am pretty sure it was grass), then a talus hop the last 300' or so. The cool part is looking off NW from Pawnee Pass, it looks like some straight up Harry Potter freaky s*it! From Pawne to Toll, it is a talus hop down to the saddle then supposedly a pretty stable hike/scramble (easier class 3) up Toll.

The wx was not good enough for us to do Toll at the time despite its closeness but it looks fun!
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Here's a good view of Mt. Toll from Blue Lake, taken 29 August 2010. I parked at Long Lake, took the standard route over Pawnee, and descended mostly grassy (and wet!) slopes to Blue Lake. There's a beautiful waterfall on the west end of Blue lake that makes this route worthwhile. I came out at the Mitchell Lake TH, and walked the road back to the Long Lake TH. The loop route worked out pretty well for me.

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Both routes are intriguing. That slope up to the south of Toll from Blue Lakes looks cool and the loop sounds amazing.

One question about Pawnee Pass...can you see Lone Eagle Peak? From the map it looks like you can...