Mt Hood in July

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Mt Hood in July

Post by tlongpine »

I know Mt. Hood is merely 11,250 ft, and that this is "the Home of Colorado's 14er's and High Peaks" not "the Home of the Cascade Range's Glaciers and High Volcanoes" but I'm hoping some in this community of experienced alpinists have late-season experience on Mt. Hood.

Mostly I'm concerned about the quality, and quantity, of snowpack remaining in late July.

Generally, what kind of conditions should I expect?

Is there any reason this year would be exceptional? Better/worse/different?

Is there a particular route, preferably on the southern or west slopes, that is more suitable for this window?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Mt Hood in July

Post by Brian C »

Depends. There is a lot of snow out there now but if the temps get high enough it'll go fast.

"...but I'm hoping some in this community of experienced alpinists have late-season experience on Mt. Hood." There are reports on late-season ascents on here and SP and the consensus is it can be scary. The big issue on late season ascents is rock fall. Without a good freeze to keep them attached you could be in a bowling alley. Just depends on the conditions.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Fletch wrote:Quite a few members here will be attempting in early June. We'll have more to report then.

As for the snowpack, Hood has received >200% of average this year, so I'm fairly confident it will be still be a snow climb in July...

That's what I'm hoping. Otherwise, it'll be a great year for rapids.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for trip reports throughout June.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Might try Cascadeclimbers.com as well.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I would expect the Bergschrund to be open very wide by then. I was up there last week and was surprised at how open it was already.

The Old Chute variation of the south side route was in, and I would expect it to still be in by July as well. In that variation, you avoid climbing directly above the crevasse.

And I'll second trying cascadeclimbers.com as well. Good stuff over there!
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

We arrived at Timberline Lodge last Sunday evening. The weather came in and the snow line came down. On Wednesday it cleared enough for us to try it. We turned back while still below Crater Rock. Although the sky was clear above us, the winds were in our faces with blowing snow. We could have pushed higher but could see the winds blowing snow across the crater. Climber were coming down that had turned around. We stopped by Timberline Guides later that day and they told us about half of their climbers made it. The weather came in again for Thursday as we left.

We watched this site through the week. I wish we would have had this week’s forecast instead.
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Hood

We did come home with good beta on the mountain. We’ll go back. I’ll have a much better visual in my head next time.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
tshyatt
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tshyatt »

I climbed Mt Hood 3 years ago on July 4 - after submitting Mt Ranier 2 days earlier. Summitted via standard hogs back route. That late in year the old chute is only option for this route. Requires helmet, ice axe and crampons as there will be ice and snow and steep slope. Dress warm - take clothing similar to winter Colorado climb. Also requires alpine start to minimze rockfall danger - 1:00 am as mountain starts to fall apart when it warms up during day. Real time conditions are posted at mountain sign in.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

For what it's worth, I thought the rockfall, steepness, and overall difficulty of Hood's standard route was quite over rated. Granted, we had perfect summer weather. Started around 1:30am and were back at the TH a little after 8am. Here is the route we took on July 22, 2009. Red ascent, green descent. Should have followed the green line up and down. I agree you'll want helmet, ice axe, and crampons.

lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Just got back from a week long trip out there. Hood region resembled winter, even from the parking lot as of yesterday morning. We never left the car and ended up just checking out the Timberline. Gusts well over 50mph at 5k and a reported 3 feet of new snow with it dumping all morning. You won't have to worry about snow, that's for sure.

I'm hoping you have nice weather window. I never quite understood what bad weather was till this last week. There is stuff where you can man up and power through and then there are PNW storms.

Another option is to try and find out when/if Chris Davenport is headed out there. I'm pretty sure he has Mother Nature's email address. He was out there from May 4 through 17. It went bluebird the day he arrived and stayed that way till he left, and the volcanoes haven't been visible much since.
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Glad to hear there is plenty of snow. I'm also hoping for a repeat attempt in early July. This winter's attempt resulted in an hour of defrosting down at the Lodge!!
Attachments
icy day
icy day
hood reduced.JPG (28.56 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Adventurgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 120 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Adventurgal »

Good post!
We're headed to Hood and Shasta in two weeks. I didn't realize the above average snow fall.
Thanks.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Taylorz and I stopped by Hood just before Memorial weekend. Brutal weather, we didn't even bother to start up the mountain.
There are many routes on Hood, I think that if there is a good weather window you can find somewhere to play.
My goal for Hood, which I haven't been up yet, is the Sunshine Ridge (sort of on the north east side, if I remember right). Sounds like a moderate ski descent a mediocre skier like me could handle.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes