Climax Mine reopened.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Climax Mine reopened.

Post by milan »

Whoever wants to hike Bartlett Mountain, be aware that the Climax mine has reopened May 10th 2012, supposedly after 17 years of shutdown. I hiked the mountain on Saturday and there was drilling equipment and a showel just next to the summit block, I guess, the elevation will have to be reset once again soon. Fortunately, nobody was around to make troubles to the trespasser, most of the work was being performed on the other side (south, McNamee's shoulder). They were working both Saturday and Sunday (as I saw from Clinton the second day). Also, there is a guard on the road towards the tailing ponds, so whoever needs to hike Jacques Peak this way, its probably not possible any more.
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Climax Mine reopened.

Post by BobbyFinn »

Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Just knock off 200 feet from the summit and nobody will care to hike that pile of choss ever again. Not a bad strategy for the mining company. Making it completely uninteresting will be much easier/cheaper than actually patrolling it.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I had some vague plans back in April to do Bartlett but it never happened. I'm kind of thinking now that I'll just scratch this one off the list and forget about it. I am curious how much elevation will eventually get knocked off of it.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Floyd wrote:Just knock off 200 feet from the summit and nobody will care to hike that pile of choss ever again. Not a bad strategy for the mining company. Making it completely uninteresting will be much easier/cheaper than actually patrolling it.
Except for ChicagoTransplant.... :)

Maybe climb Bartlett everytime they knock off 100 feet or so for new ascent each time?
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

Wow, I might be the last human to touch the summit of Bartlett at 13400 feet! Awesome. IMO they are not planning a big blast, to me it looked like the summit will loose maybe 10 feet at this blast. But they will probably keep blasting...
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

I thought this was pretty interesting:
http://books.google.com/books?id=td4DAA ... e&q&f=true
It starts on page 63 of the file.

The people in the security office told us that when they blast, rocks go flying very far - so even if the blast isn't on the summit, rocks could get thrown that way. The security folks were very friendly and didn't have the attitude of "It's our mountain - stay off!" instead they pointed out their safety concerns - especially the concern of them throwing rocks into Clinton Creek drainage and the flying rocks after blasts. We saw a small accidental rock slide near where they were working and it is something that we were very glad that we were very very far from.
sevenvii
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sevenvii »

The lady at the security office was very kind and helpful when I was asking about the parking/road situation that I wanted to use to access Arkansas.
dave alex
14ers: 57 
13ers: 170
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dave alex »

I climbed Jacque on Friday by ascending a very steep slope off 91, just across the highway from a pull off short of the private road. This slope relents after about a mile and 1500' of gain. Above tree line, I encountered an old road leading to cabin ruins. Ski slopes and the rest of the route was visible from there. Good route to avoid private property issues.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

dave alex wrote:I climbed Jacque on Friday by ascending a very steep slope off 91, just across the highway from a pull off short of the private road. This slope relents after about a mile and 1500' of gain. Above tree line, I encountered an old road leading to cabin ruins. Ski slopes and the rest of the route was visible from there. Good route to avoid private property issues.
Happen to have a gpx file or could you roughly draw your route on a topo?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Jon Frohlich wrote:I had some vague plans back in April to do Bartlett but it never happened. I'm kind of thinking now that I'll just scratch this one off the list and forget about it. I am curious how much elevation will eventually get knocked off of it.
In retrospect, we should've John Wayne'd it. I figured something was up because I could see the earth mover from US-24 heading north on Sunday. Bobby has a photo of it in his conditions report.

I think for peaks like this with access issues you have to go in abhorrent conditions. Either that or recruit somebody slower and fatter than you to be the sacrificial lamb if the sh-- hits. You could also throw your partner under the bus by giving him/her a hard two-handed shove in the back when the chase starts.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
harrise
14ers: 12 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (4)

Post by harrise »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Happen to have a gpx file or could you roughly draw your route on a topo?
Ooh, I get to interject, I've done Jacque from 91 keeping the boundaries in mind. If he went roughly the same way I went, it was about here...

T'was summer and not a soul in sight. Rounded the bowl to grab Tucker as well. Lots of dense aspen and loose needles rolling on crunchy dirt from what I remember.

*Edit* Crap, that's a Gore peak. What have I done? Those better be fire fighting blackhawks overhead.
Last edited by harrise on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.