First ascent of Peak 7071

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

First ascent of Peak 7071

Post by Scott P »

It appears that Peak 7071 has finally been climbed (two years ago in fact):

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/mounta ... /106879714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see an album on the peak below:

http://www.summitpost.org/peak-7071-my- ... ado/236059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is certainly one of the most impressive peaks in Colorado:

The face you are looking at is over 1 1/2 times higher than the Diamond on Longs.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
NYRyan
14ers: 29  5 
13ers: 14 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First ascent of Peak 7071

Post by NYRyan »

very cool. thanks for posting
Thank you Bill M for this great site.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

You're kidding! Damn I know how much you wanted that designation....I was going to give it a look this fall and explore that area a little
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Interesting. I wish they had a full trip report up with photos. It was a very alluring thought to think nobody had been up there.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Too bad they didn't post any pics! Your "Outlaw Peak" page is still a classic, Scott.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I still plan to go after 7071, it's part of my climbing project. What's interesting is that the line the (apparent?) FA took is pretty much straight up from the river at 5.10a. Depending on conditions I should be able to do that; maybe not a model of grace, but desert 10a should be within the possible for me.

What's even more interesting is that it looks like the south ridge off 7071 might give access to Pt. 6799 (5.x), possibly unclimbed. I've heard 6799 is overhanging, etc. but the report on 7071 suggests the capstone was Wingate Sandstone, among the better climbing sandstones. I assume that could be the case on nearby 6799. Hard to say, of course, but trying that connecting ridge would save a bunch of additional climbing.

I've contacted the guy who published the 7071 report to see if I can get more beta. If work slacks up I'm hoping to head in there in October-ish.
-Tom
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

Are there any other noteable unclimbed peaks in the US?...besides in Alaska.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hey Steve,

So, uh...you do have two arms, right? :lol:

It's been a goal of mine to get back in there for some time, and I'm hoping for this year. The low snow pack suggests the flow on the Yampa might be lower than normal, opening up possibilities in September as well. It's been an awfully busy work year for me but I think I can swing several days back there. I've had a couple of guys express interest, but as with all climbing trips, schedules/events often conflict so who could ultimately go is always an unknown. So a long way of saying, if you're interested let's talk. I think a small-ish group makes sense, both for teamwork and gear (e.g. a couple of rope teams makes twin 70m raps easier, etc.)

-Tom
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'll send you a PM in a few minutes, I have a question about Unaweep and access to an unlimbed (on LoJ, that is...) peak there.
-Tom
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

mts4602 wrote:Are there any other noteable unclimbed peaks in the US?...besides in Alaska.
Depends on your definition of notable. This 7071 is impressive and I've seen people talk about it for a year or so, but outside this small circle its hard to say its really that notable. So in reality no. However there are TONS of smaller unexplored rocks/soft ranked peaks that dont have listed ascents. Though actually verifying you were the first is next to impossible in itself.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Are there any other noteable unclimbed peaks in the US?...besides in Alaska.
I would certainly call Red Castle in Utah "notable" (it's actually one of the more famous peaks in the state). It is rumored to be unclimbed (I think Brian C and Noah are giving it a shot soon). It has the same color and rock composition as the Maroon Bells, but is much steeper.

Cut and paste from one of my SP post:

............In the Rocky Mountains the highest unclimbed peak might be Red Castle (~12,700 feet/3870 meters). At least many sources claim that it has been unclimed (the actual Red Castle, not the non-technical mountain [12825] to the south which is sometimes referred to as Red Castle). Here is one:

http://utahikerguy.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really don't know if it's true or not (in fact I'm somewhat skeptical), but in the last 20+ years I have heard from many people that it is still unclimed, or at least has no known ascents.

It actually doesn't look that bad, but the rock is very bad:

So far all known attempts failed because of loose rock. For example, I recently recieved this email from SP member Alpinglow84:

I was reading your High Uintas page and was wondering if anyone had sent
any information on climbing Red Castle. Two years ago my partner and I made
an attempt on a technical line on the West Face but were turned back after
two pitches because the rock is practically hardened mud and even good
looking holds (i.e. no fracture lines/well attached) would detach when
weighted. I got curious about what others may have said on the subject.
Thanks
Phil B.

Red Castle has been attempted several times in recent years, but it seems that the story is the always the same and similar to the above. If anyone does know of any ascent of Red Castle, many would be interested in hearing about it............

Even some of the impressive ones in Zion National Park are apparently still unclimbed (though a few were climbed in recent years).
What's even more interesting is that it looks like the south ridge off 7071 might give access to Pt. 6799 (5.x), possibly unclimbed.

Once on the ridge, it looks reasonable, but getting to the ridge looks extremely difficult. Here's a shot of it:

High resolution:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/231238.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's overhung much of the way on both sides, but it may have a weakness close to where the ridge begins to rise to Peak 7071.
I've heard 6799 is overhanging, etc. but the report on 7071 suggests the capstone was Wingate Sandstone, among the better climbing sandstones. I assume that could be the case on nearby 6799. Hard to say, of course, but trying that connecting ridge would save a bunch of additional climbing.
From my last trip, 6799 looks harder than 7071. For sure it is out of my league. After several years of poking around, 7071 may offer a route that might be promising. I'm not that great of a climber, but it might be possible for me if the route goes and I know the area well.

Strangely, finding the route up Outlaw Peak took 2 1/2 years, but once we found it, it became so painfully obvious that I can easily find my way up there now.

Anyway, I believe the capstone to those peaks is actually the Park City Formation, with Weber Sandstone forming the bulk of the peaks. It is older than the Wingate and the rocks the age of the Wingate are only present farther south on the slopes of the anticline.

The Kayenta formation is more or less missing in Dinosaur NM leaving the Navajo and Wingate as a single formation (a.k.a. Nugget Sandstone or Glen Canyon Sanstone, somtimes called just plain Navajo). In this part of the world, the Glen Canyon/Nugget/Navajo-Wingate is actually very crumbly and nothing like it is in say Indian Creek. It does form some nice slot canyons though. In Dinosaur, the Weber is actually harder than what corresponds to the Wingate age rocks.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.