Kili anyone? Groupon offer

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Kili anyone? Groupon offer

Post by Floyd »

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-odyssey ... ?c=all&p=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

12-Day Expedition from Odyssey Safaris with Roundtrip Airfare, Meals, Accommodations, and Transportation $4,912 (down from $7,017)
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Kili anyone? Groupon offer

Post by SurfNTurf »

And here I am whining about $300 airfare to Seattle...sheesh...
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
LuLuLuv
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

That's a pretty good price, what time of year do you have to go?
LuLuLuv
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

Oh just saw it!
Scuba Steve
14ers: 20 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Scuba Steve »

It's sold out. Bummer, it looked like a fun trip.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

My eyes must be going, but I thought this was an offer for serial killers.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Scuba Steve wrote:It's sold out. Bummer, it looked like a fun trip.
What is sold out? it's still on the site and you can still buy it!
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
Scuba Steve
14ers: 20 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Scuba Steve »

TheOtherIndian wrote:
Scuba Steve wrote:It's sold out. Bummer, it looked like a fun trip.
What is sold out? it's still on the site and you can still buy it!

You're right! I swear it said it was sold out when I visited the site. :oops:
Artvandalay
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Artvandalay »

I'm going this August with Team Kilimanjaro and it's costing me about 3K.
Hi. I like to go outside.
WarDamnPanic
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

I am hiking it with Marangu Hotel in August and spent around 4k for Airfare and the climb. That price seems a little high, especially if you don't live in DC.
LuLuLuv
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

Do those 4k prices include a safari or just the climb of the mountain?I do have a good guide group I could recommend and they are reasonably priced if anyone is interested.
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

WarDamnPanic wrote:I am hiking it with Marangu Hotel in August and spent around 4k for Airfare and the climb. That price seems a little high, especially if you don't live in DC.
With due respect to the OP, I agree that $4900 + airfare to DC (Dulles) and back, probably another $300-400, is high for a Kili climb that doesn't include a 3 day Safari add-on. You can do better. Shop around. You should be able to get in under 5 grand total including a nice Safari. You probably don't want to go all the way to Tanzania and not do a Safari. I also think 12 days is a tad long w/o the Safari in the mix. Should be able to do the climb, relatively leisurely, plus a 3-day Safari in 14 total days, including all travel.

I also highly recommend the Marangu hotel. I've only been there once, but it sure was a fine trip. I think our total was under 4 grand, total, including Safari in 2007.