snow climb with dog

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

snow climb with dog

Post by davebks »

Hey, I didn't want to highjack a different post I was on so I thought I'd start a new one.
I was wondering if there were any fun snow climbs that I could bring my dog on.
I am new to the dog thing so I wasn't sure what the limits were aside from using good judgement.

I was thinking about a place that had a nice mellow coliour or a snow field where we can just climb up to a ridge or something. Obviously I don't want to put him in real risk. He wouldn't know the difference and that would be unfair to him. He LOVES the snow though so I thought there has to be a fun place to take him.
I like the approaches on the flat tops but I can't bring my dog in the park.
I have been to St. Marys (last summer). It was fun, I guess...?
What else you got?? Anything in Indian Peaks or near Eldora or something? I am not looking to take him on a big climb or anything. I am just looking to get in my crampons and ice axe for a fun day out where I can feel like I got my dog out and actually climbed something.
He can put in about 7-8 miles no problem (aussie).

Thanks!
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: snow climb with dog

Post by jbchalk »

One of the first couloir climbs my golden retriever Rainier did was Lost Rat on Grays. Pretty mellow and a good runout and relatively short. Really was fun to climb up with her in the Lost Rat. A bit steeper ones she has done was Angelica on Holy Cross, Conundrum Couloir...several others too...I just cant think of them now.
Andrew
14ers: 57  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew »

Angel of Shavano was no problem for my lab. She spent most of the time wandering around and intentionally sliding downhill while I trudged my way up.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Dogs do fine in the spring snow. In winter with thick powder to posthole through, they can have some problems.
My dogs have climbed and descended, with no problem at all, some steep snow. Grizzly North Coulior and C-C' coulior were probably the steepest. One of them was scared on an icy section in C-C'. They get very good traction and don't even bother owning crampons, much less carrying them.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
davebks
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Angel looks awesome but a bit far for a day trip. I live in the Boulder area so I was thinking maybe front range peaks up to perhaps the vail area. or north to lyons, allenspark, nederland, etc.
I will keep those suggestions in mind though. All good options!
Thanks!!

oh yeah, they dont even need to be coliours. Even just a fun snowfield up to a ridge or something would be great.