8000ers.com and a new book

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

8000ers.com and a new book

Post by davebks »

This is a cool site I just discovered.
http://www.8000ers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It really details all the big peaks.
There is also a new 8000M peak book just released. The details are on the same site.
Cool stuff!!!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 8000ers.com and a new book

Post by TravelingMatt »

They even have a sort of peak checklist. Which matters, because you haven't really done Annapurna until you log on and put a checkmark by it.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

They even have a sort of peak checklist. Which matters, because you haven't really done Annapurna until you log on and put a checkmark by it.

hahaha..totally. if you survive you better hurry on home to get that check list marked.
:roll:
Of course if you are at the point where this check list would come in handy, good for you!
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Talk about a narrow focus with only 14 peaks that meet the criteria of the website. Somehow I think people that are seriously into 8000 meter peaks are not doing research on routes at 8000ers.com :lol:
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

randalmartin wrote:Talk about a narrow focus with only 14 peaks that meet the criteria of the website. Somehow I think people that are seriously into 8000 meter peaks are not doing research on routes at 8000ers.com
Lots of perfectly good 7000ers out there with nary a soul on them!
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Unfortunately there's no bulletin board where you can have discussions such as:

* How far can my Subaru make it up Kangchenjunga? Is like the road up to the radio towers on Princeton?
* What's the Gasherbrum traverse like vs. the Bells?
* Lhotse shouldn't count! It doesn't have enough prominence!
* I'm doing K2 flying in from sea level the night before. Will I have any acclimation issues?
* Will I be OK at Camp 4 with my REI three-season tent or should I bring longjohns?
* The Hillary Step -- let's have a really long debate over what class it is. I say Class 3. If you've done Wetterhorn you should have no problem.
* I want to do a stealth ascent of Everest from the Tibet side, will the Chinese government be ok with this?
* What are people's favorite post-hike meals? I usually just nosh on whatever body parts I find on the way down.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Sweet post, TravelingMatt. If Sherpa's have to carry your ass down the mountain, can you still check the 3000 ft ascent box?
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

7000ers, the new 13ers :wink:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

TravelingMatt wrote:Unfortunately there's no bulletin board where you can have discussions such as:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some more topics:

* Do I need crampons and an ice axe on the Abruzzi Ridge or will Microspikes and trekking poles suffice?
* I've climbed one 8000ft peak, that's just like an 8000m peak right?
* Can I car-camp at Everest Basecamp or is that considered Private Property?
* I'm planning a "big day" in the Himalayas, connecting all 8000m peaks in one day. Who's with me? :wink:
* Are there any privately owned 8000m peaks? I think it would be slick to buy one....
* Are there any challenging but safe 8000m peaks?
* Karakoram Happy Hour June 5. Let's Party!
* Did anyone find my body on the Lhotse South face? Can you return it to me please?
Last edited by geojed on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

49ersRule wrote:If Sherpa's have to carry your ass down the mountain, can you still check the 3000 ft ascent box?
NO! Beck Weathers cannot count Everest, for example. But if you fall all the way down you can count it.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

That was funny.
I was wondering if i can i bring my dog on cho oyu since the summit is flat?
What's the best beer to have on the top of DHAULAGIRI I?
If I want to bring my girlfriend, what's the best route to take on k2?
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

davebks wrote:That was funny.
I was wondering if i can i bring my dog on cho oyu since the summit is flat?
You certainly can, and even should. Although most people lose their appetite at high camp, if your food is self-transporting it's just that much less weight in your pack. And now that you have to carry all your waste with you, your dog will have a successful summit one way or another as long as you do.