El Misti - Peru

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stuckiniowa
Trip Reports (0)

El Misti - Peru

Post by stuckiniowa »

I have been a lurker on this site for some time now, but now that my wife and I have moved back to CO i figured I might throw my hat in the ring. So here goes.

My wife an I have booked a trip to Peru in September with the main goal to hike the inca trail and see Machu Picchu. We are flying into Arequipa with the original thought to see the Colca Canyon. After looking into it more I would rather hike El Misti but I am not sure if our time frame will allow it. We will be arriving in Arequipa at 7:00am on Wednesday and need to be on the bus to Cusco on Saturday or Saturday night. So it looks like our best bet would be to hike Thursday, camp on Thursday night and be back in Arequipa Friday night? Do you think this is enough time to acclimatize? We have both hiked 14er's in Colorado and one in Borneo and have camped at treeline multiple times and have had no issues with altitude but this will be a big jump. We will both be in good shape and she is doing three triathlons this summer and I am doing one. I understand it will very for everyone but we have a good idea what our limits are and if we don't make it to the top it so be it, it won't make or break the trip. Any thoughts? Also if you have any recommended guides or contacts it would help.

Thank you in advance for the help!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: El Misti - Peru

Post by Scott P »

Do you think this is enough time to acclimatize?
No. You would be asking for trouble.

Is it possible to do the Inca Trail and visit Cusco first? By then you would be better acclimatized.
Also if you have any recommended guides or contacts it would help.
Carlos Zarate runs the most reliable or at least longest running company down that way. Highly recommended.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

When we climbed Chachani back in 1998 we used Carlos Zarate. That was before everybody had a webpage, but this appears to be the same person:
http://www.zarateadventures.pe/page/mountains
If we were to go back to climb El Misti we would contact him again.
Agree on more time, not just for acclimation, but after peeling yourself out of the airplane.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

... or after peeling yourself out of the 4x4. I'd recommend camping at the TH (it was 17400' on Chachani, not sure about Misti) for an afternoon to recover from the drive up. :-&
stuckiniowa
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stuckiniowa »

Thanks everyone. Looks like we will just hit Colca canyon and hit the mountains next time. We are meeting someone to hike the inca trail and they have very limited time and plane tickets have been bought. Thanks again.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

The Inca Trail is worth the trip itself. Plus there are a lot of attractions in Peru for an extra days. City to city bus rides can be guided tours of historic sites.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I'm doing the Inca Trail May 18-26 through REI and will try to get in a 14er beforehand. I was thinking of Cerro Picol since it is right on the edge of town. Does anyone know of any good hiking trails in the area?