Sharing passion with your children!

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Sharing passion with your children!

Post by apasquel »

Hi guys...just took family camping to E-Rock here in Texas and we went up the big Dome and Turkey Peak...watching my girls climb, scramble, hike, and just have fun outdoors is such a pleasure for me that I wanted to share some pics. I especially wanted to share this Summit photo of me and my daughter Hannah on Turkey Peak...this pic means so much to me. Look at the joy in her face! Hopefully she will be a future 14er member!
[img]I:\My Pictures\hannah on peak[/img

If you guys want, you can see the rest of the trip here: http://seekingtheburningbush.blogspot.com/
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Sharing passion with your children!

Post by Floyd »

Thanks for sharing, always great to see families out together. Neat area too, it looks similar to Goose Creek in the LCW.

By the way, that's a mean looking burger!
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Love that! May have to head down there again soon. The red cactus flower is a claret cup cactus. Loved the Wichita Mountains photos too. Thanks for sharing.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Also, your girl is very smart to be wearing a TCU hat (the "frog" in Steelfrog)!
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

steelfrog wrote:Also, your girl is very smart to be wearing a TCU hat (the "frog" in Steelfrog)!
My wife graduated from TCU...hopefully my daughters get their smarts from momma...I've hit my head on a few rocks in my time, but I still wasn't all that smart before...
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by apasquel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:25 pm

...I've hit my head on a few rocks in my time, but I still wasn't all that smart before...
Ah, quite the contrary, my friend, sounds like you were smart enough to marry a good woman. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Meers burgers are really good.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

PKelley wrote:Meers burgers are really good.
So are the Meers Beers!
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

apasquel wrote:Hi guys...just took family camping to E-Rock here in Texas and we went up the big Dome and Turkey Peak...watching my girls climb, scramble, hike, and just have fun outdoors is such a pleasure for me
Did you take them up after dark to listen to the Rock or go into the cave?
While it's safe to go through (we did it once even without a flashlight), we had a couple really spooky experiences in there.
Enchanted Rock, well, rocks. I wish I'd seen it as a little kid. Well done!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

Matt wrote:
apasquel wrote:Hi guys...just took family camping to E-Rock here in Texas and we went up the big Dome and Turkey Peak...watching my girls climb, scramble, hike, and just have fun outdoors is such a pleasure for me
Did you take them up after dark to listen to the Rock or go into the cave?
While it's safe to go through (we did it once even without a flashlight), we had a couple really spooky experiences in there.
Enchanted Rock, well, rocks. I wish I'd seen it as a little kid. Well done!

No we didn't...but my brother in law and I did go up ther once before and just hung out at night. We didn't hear any of the legendary sounds I hav eheard about...but sky was so clear, we could see several satellites shoot across the sky back and forth...

"Enchanted Rock, the legend says, was home to ghost fires. That's how the Tonkawas explained the crackling and popping sounds that emanated from the rock on cool evenings.Today we know this: Enchanted Rock is one of the country's largest plutons, a gigantic pink granite pebble unearthed by erosion. The crackling sounds the Indians heard were likely caused by the rock's expansion and contraction due to the heat of the sun."

Pesonally, I like the Tonkawas explanation better!