County HP (Buffalo Pk)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: County HP (Buffalo Pk)

Post by 12ersRule »

I'm working on the county list, but I'm hoping to do some centennials this weekend.

Really looking forward to Vermillion, Hesperus, Eolus, and Zirkel!
SuperPolok
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

Hey Fletch, I would definitley be down with this idea but I'll be in SW CO canyon country this weekend. If you postpone, let me know as I'd like to get up ol' Buffalo one of these days.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

As you already know, I'm game!

And Matt, you should totally come--the more the merrier on this suffer-fest :D
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I did that one last year, and as others have said, body armor is damn near a requirement. Derek put up a good TR on it that I used as a guide. Derek's TR I would also add that when coming back down, I thought it looked easier to take a little more northerly track back to Stoney Pass through an aspen stand. It was NOT easier and if I did it again, I would come back down the same way I went up - essentially the track that Derek describes. Feel free to PM me if you would like the pics I took.

Good luck!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Its a good hike, I enjoyed it. Make sure and stop at the nice outcropping on the way up for good views of Green Mountain. The outcropping is evident on the Topo I believe, I recall it was about the halfway point of elevation. (I probably detailed it in the report that Jay linked...dont remember.)
Fletch wrote:...start at dawn, ~8-10 mi RT, 3,000 ft gain.
If you're starting from Stoney Pass, mileage is just over 5 miles. (albeit 5 pretty slow miles though..) Another option is to approach from the west from Wigwam TH. Follow Wigwam trail 3 miles to Rolling Creek trail, follow that north 1 mile, then bushwhack .5 or so east to the summit. A lot longer, more elevation, but more trail time.

Have fun!

--D
Tempelton
14ers: 52 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Tempelton »

I'd want to, but I'm busy this weekend. I have spring break next week M-F... anyone want to go then? :D
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Tempelton wrote:I'd want to, but I'm busy this weekend. I have spring break next week M-F... anyone want to go then? :D
Darn--my spring break was this past week. If nothing else, I can give you a heads-up on conditions if some of us go this weekend...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Tempelton
14ers: 52 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Tempelton »

ChrisinAZ wrote:
Tempelton wrote:I'd want to, but I'm busy this weekend. I have spring break next week M-F... anyone want to go then? :D
Darn--my spring break was this past week. If nothing else, I can give you a heads-up on conditions if some of us go this weekend...
For sure! I doubt it'll happen though, I'll probably just stick around ol' BoCo.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I have interest in doing the CoHPs that are actually "mountains", even the unranked ones like "Devils Playground Peak", but not really in the plains high points. I have done two of the drive up Denver area ones when I was "passing through" (Rocky Flats and DIA Ridge), but I don't see me driving out to the middle of some ranch in NE Colorado.

Anyway, Buffalo would be of interest some day, but not this weekend. I am more interested in the 12 and up ones first - Zirkel, Flattop/NW Orno, The 13er trio in the South San Juan, West Spanish, Hesperus, Clark, Greenhorn. I'll keep an eye out for your posts and may tag along sometime. Flattop is on my list for when that road re-opens for the season and I want to do a South San Juan trip pre-monsoon, maybe late May. I don't think its gated, just that they don't plow it, so when it melts we should be good to go.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

See you all in Pine Junction on Sunday!
Chicago Transplant wrote:I have interest in doing the CoHPs that are actually "mountains", even the unranked ones like "Devils Playground Peak", but not really in the plains high points. I have done two of the drive up Denver area ones when I was "passing through" (Rocky Flats and DIA Ridge), but I don't see me driving out to the middle of some ranch in NE Colorado.

Anyway, Buffalo would be of interest some day, but not this weekend. I am more interested in the 12 and up ones first - Zirkel, Flattop/NW Orno, The 13er trio in the South San Juan, West Spanish, Hesperus, Clark, Greenhorn. I'll keep an eye out for your posts and may tag along sometime. Flattop is on my list for when that road re-opens for the season and I want to do a South San Juan trip pre-monsoon, maybe late May. I don't think its gated, just that they don't plow it, so when it melts we should be good to go.
Mike, Brian and I have been talking about a Zirkel backpack later this summer. You should come along!
The South San Juan ones can be done in a day (Layne Bracy pulled it off) if you start early and have good weather. That day will have more driving than hiking, though. I did Conejos and Bennett in a day with plenty of time to play around and enjoy the scenery.
I think a lot of snowmobile traffic goes down that way to Platoro, so access should come quickly.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List