Great Himalaya Trail - Nepal

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AnnieUpHigh
14ers: 35 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Great Himalaya Trail - Nepal

Post by AnnieUpHigh »

A few weeks ago the Sunday Denver Post had a huge article about GHT as a new "bucket list" adventure. I learned of this route about a year ago, and now here I am in the Doha Airport on my way to Kathmandu!

If you care to know more, or follow progress, I'll be posting blogs and location updates on Google Earth map via Iridium satellite phone+iPad2 connection on my website. http://www.annieuphigh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I head east from KTM in a couple of days, fly toward eastern border hike to Kanchenjunga base camp, and eventually end up west border late July. 1056 miles. Sherpani Col at 20,000' is highest we'll go.

(I'm so freakin' excited!)
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Great Himalaya Trail - Nepal

Post by MUni Rider »

This is really cool. I look forwarding to following you on your website. Enjoy Nepal. It is beautiful.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
Globetrotter_87
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Globetrotter_87 »

VERY cool!!! Will be following your blog. It is courageous, ambitious people like you who inspire me to dream bigger and take on greater challenges!
AnnieUpHigh
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AnnieUpHigh »

Thanks! I'm thinking book when I'm done, I am sooo hemorrhaging money right now, but ask me if I care. The adventure just seemed to take on a life of its own. It's a new concept (traverse) and I'm almost certain I'll be the first US woman to do this.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

After me and Kathy (and about 10 others) did the trek to basecamp a couple years ago, we love everything Nepal. You can count on two book sales here! :D
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
AnnieUpHigh
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AnnieUpHigh »

MUni Rider wrote:After me and Kathy (and about 10 others) did the trek to basecamp a couple years ago, we love everything Nepal. You can count on two book sales here! :D
\:D/ for books

Me, too, except I do not like the wait in visa line and the kamikazee drive to hotel, but I am here, alive, and with both bags--YES!
The measure of a person's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.
http://www.AnnieUpHigh.com
Life as a Wild Child
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Very cool, have a wonderful time, you have a fan in Vermont.
Best Regards
Husker John
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Husker John »

I will definately be following! I am starting research on my own adventure of Nepal. Can't get enough...