Canadian Rockies Questions

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Canadian Rockies Questions

Post by steelfrog »

Howdy. I am taking my son on his so-called Big Trip in August. Ten days. He wanted to go to Canada, so the Canadian Rockies it is! I know that Yoho N.P. is going to figure heavily in our plans. Otherwise, we are wide open. We want (in no particular order):

(a) Solitude

(b) Epic scenery with exposure (up to class 3 low class 4 scrambling)

(c) Fishing

Any suggestions are most welcome!
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Canadian Rockies Questions

Post by geojed »

steelfrog wrote:Howdy. I am taking my son on his so-called Big Trip in August. Ten days. He wanted to go to Canada, so the Canadian Rockies it is! I know that Yoho N.P. is going to figure heavily in our plans. Otherwise, we are wide open. We want (in no particular order):

(a) Solitude

(b) Epic scenery with exposure (up to class 3 low class 4 scrambling)

(c) Fishing

Any suggestions are most welcome!
There are several good books on scrambles in the Canadian Rockies. Just do a search on Amazon.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Ya--I bought those--Don't Waste Your Time in CR, Scrambles in the CR, etc. I was kind of looking for any recommendations here as well. Also, fishing?
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

steelfrog wrote:Ya--I bought those--Don't Waste Your Time in CR, Scrambles in the CR, etc. I was kind of looking for any recommendations here as well. Also, fishing?
I don't know about fishing in the CR

One good way you can easily combine "solitude" and "great scenery" is to not be in one of the National Parks, but in the Kananaskis Country area. You get the scenery of the National Parks but the crowds are much reduced. Mount Tyrwhitt is a great short scramble from Highwood Pass that has AMAZING views of the Kananaskis Lakes Valley, on your way back down you can traverse/scramble the whole ridge east back to Highwood Pass. I have some pics from the scramble I can send you. Mt Invincible is a good one. There's a great/cheap Hostel there in Kananaskis too.

Check out Dow Williams website: http://dowclimbing.com/ He is a professional climber based out of Canmore. His website has lots of good beta for a ton of scrambles sorted by area of the CR.

Here's a link to a navigable map of the Canadian Rockies
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Here's Dow's page of Canadian Scrambles on SP: http://www.summitpost.org/canadian-rock ... les/363160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lot's of good beta and pics there too.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

Mount Sir Donald NW ridge is truly the best ridge climb I've ever done. It's in the Selkirks by Golden and Revelstoke, BC. One of the 50 classics and it's not only historic but has very good climbing! (Most of the other classic's kind of suck as far as quality of climbing like Devils Tower Durrance Route) It's mostly 4rth class with 5.4 along the way and perhaps one or two spots of mid fifth class. Most simul climb it. The ridge itself is almost 3,000 feet high from the saddle to summit. Features several thousand feet of exposure the whole way up on each side. So amazing!!

Mount Assiniboine is another classic. The "Matterhorn" of North America. 5.4 as well but only in one spot. Exposed and pretty high as far as the Canadian Rockies go. Super beautiful.

Pigeon Spire in the Bugaboos is amazing. 5.4 in one spot but mostly 4rth class. Makes you think your in Patagonia. Called the best 5.4 on the planet.

I have reports on here of all three.

Mount Temple has a class 4 route to the top. Most of the stuff in the Canadian Rockies (At least all the high concentrated tall mountains) are pretty technical and more loose then stuff in CO. (Speaking of the 11,000+ peaks as the easiest route up any of them is Temple at Class 4) Get a guidebook of the Selkirks and there is alot of stuff scrambling wise there. Uto comes to mind. The sport climbing in Revelstoke is amazing as well. Whatever you want, however hard or easy you want, Canada has it all. Truly an amazing place. Take some time to drive the Icefields Parkway if you can. So called the most beautiful highway drive in the world. Hope this helped.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

You might find something on my site that you would enjoy.

http://www.truedino.com/scramble.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't fish at all but the Bow River is famous for fly fishing. I have seen people fishing at the lower Kananaskis Lake.

Mt Temple is the scramblers classic at Lake Louise. I also recommend Mt Fairview at Lake Louise and Mt Richardson behind the Lake Louise ski hill just for the views. Some exposure on Temple but not much on the latter two.

Near Banff I recommend Cascade Mtn.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Here's a flickr photo set of the Kananaskis area and my climb of Mt Tyrwhitt.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyAtog2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another photo set of my hike along the Great Divide Trail and hikes I did in the Lake Louise area. +1 on Mt Temple. and another good one in the Lake Louise area is Fossil Mtn.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjtsbUSj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Great information! Thanks guys!