censored pm's

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

censored pm's

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Not sure in what forum topic to put this under, so this is where it's at.

Anyway, I had an interesting thing happen tonight. I sent a pm, with a few non-nazarene cuss words in it. Not directed to the recipient mind you, just a few f-bombs and even s**t was in there. When the sent pm view window thing came up, I noticed the words were like this, f**k and s**t. That's in not how I spell those words.
What gives? It's a pm, not in the forum.
I also posted in the "What are you reading?" thread. I'm reading s**t My Dad Says. SO that is what I wrote. In the pop up window, it's spelled, S--T, but once in the forum, it's spelled out.

Is 14ers being censored? I'm clueless, as most of you probably figured out by now.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Re: censored pm's

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 pm

The forum has one set of word censoring and because it's turned on for the public forum threads, it also applies to PMs. I know, it's stupid.
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Oh. In the forum I can understand. I was surprised to see the pm get censored though. No big deal really.
But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction. It's the simple things in life kids.....
tmathews
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby tmathews » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm

d_baker wrote:Oh. In the forum I can understand. I was surprised to see the pm get censored though. No big deal really.
But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction. It's the simple things in life kids.....

f**k THAT s**t. ;) Just type it in all caps if you want to emphasize a point. :mrgreen: (apologies to Bill and any underage forum readers)
chrismjx
14er Checklist (7)

Postby chrismjx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 pm

tmathews wrote:
d_baker wrote:Oh. In the forum I can understand. I was surprised to see the pm get censored though. No big deal really.

f**k THAT s**t. ;) Just type it in all caps if you want to emphasize a point. :mrgreen: (apologies to Bill and any underage forum readers)

BAH HA HA HA HA, aaahhhh.... Good one t!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:57 am

:-"
"I have made it through the things others would surely die just watching"
- Megadeth
CO Native
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (28)

Postby CO Native » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote::-"

Nice.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 am

d_baker wrote:But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction.

Satisfaction is now lost.
I guess I shouldn't have let that little ditty out of the bag! :-#

No matter. Bill, maybe this should go to off route so it doesn't offend anyone? Or delete, I don't care.
DeucesWild
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 am

Swearing has its place. It's been proven through studies that swearing can have a pain relief effect in some cases.

Face it, a few choice words when you crush your finger with a hammer is a lot more effective than saying "DARN IT, THAT SMARTS!".
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 am

d_baker wrote:
d_baker wrote:But I can drop the f-bomb if I'm starting out a sentence with it, or maybe because it's capitalized, but in the middle of a sentence, or because it's a small cap, it gets censored. Knowing that gives me great satisfaction.

Satisfaction is now lost.
I guess I shouldn't have let that little ditty out of the bag! :-#

No matter. Bill, maybe this should go to off route so it doesn't offend anyone? Or delete, I don't care.

lol
I thought you'd find that funny! The reason I put a few words into the "censor" list inside the phpBB software is because we have plenty of younger people using the site. I agree it's goofy that the software applies the changes to PMs, but I can't control that without making custom changes to the forum guts.

No need to delete this thread but I will back out my various combinations of CAPITAL lettered entries. I'm amazed they made the word-censoring function case-sensitive.
"I have made it through the things others would surely die just watching"
- Megadeth
DeucesWild
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 pm

DeucesWild wrote:Face it, a few choice words when you crush your finger with a hammer is a lot more effective than saying "DARN IT, THAT SMARTS!".

Or "SERENITY NOW!"
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Mark A Steiner
14er Checklist (3)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby Mark A Steiner » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Gosh - whatever happened to "Shoot!" "Dag Nab-it!" or "Aw Phooey!" ... ?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.

Return to “Site Problems and Resolution”