What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by larkinrx2 »

currently:
Round Ireland with a Fridge - Tony Hawks ·

up next:
Banco: The Further Adventures of Papillon (i loved the first one, hopefully this finishes the story as nicely written as the first half)

would like to find a copy of:
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

larkinrx2 wrote:would like to find a copy of:
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
+1 on Shackleton. Make sure you get the book written by Shackleton himself (not sure if there is a co-author, but most of the text is by Shackleton). Lots of original photos in it also. A very genuine but yet very enthralling read!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'm currently reading a fascinating thriller called.

"An Introduction to Environmental Biophysics"

I tell ya, Gaylon Campbell really brings mass transfer to life! :-s
Make wilderness less accessible.
nickdanforth
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by nickdanforth »

Just finished re-reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods"

Big fan of that book. Hilarious and all too true.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Just finished C.S. Lewis pseudo autobiography, 'Surprised by Joy'. Loved it. Moving on to some George MacDonald 'Phantastes'.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
speedyturtle
14ers: 10 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by speedyturtle »

Reading the complete works of the Brothers Grimm. If you're slightly twisted, I highly recommend it. Plus I like that it's short stories, I can read before bed for 10 minutes and get closure.
"Ask for the ancient paths where the good way is; and walk in it and find rest for your souls." Part of Jeremiah 6:16
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

nickdanforth wrote:Just finished re-reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods"

That is a funny book... If you liked Walk in the Woods, you should check out Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country," which is all about Australia, particularly all of the nasty vermin that reside there.

I just finished a book by Chilean author Roberto Balano called "The Savage Detectives" that I thought was outstanding. Sticking with the South American theme, I'd like to pick up a copy of "Miracle in the Andes", which I was reminded of when I read SharonH's recent post on her trek to the crash site. If you have a strong stomach, the Pier Pauls Read book "Alive" (about the same incident) is amazing.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

nickdanforth wrote:Just finished re-reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods"

I highly recomend his "A Short History of Nearly Everything," even for those not interested in science he makes it amazingly entertaining.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Peak Fitness
14ers: 54 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak Fitness »

I've been reading the weather forecast every weekend throughout the summer and it has been a bad read. This summer has sucked!
nickdanforth
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by nickdanforth »

wooderson wrote:That is a funny book... If you liked Walk in the Woods, you should check out Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country," which is all about Australia, particularly all of the nasty vermin that reside there.
Yeah I actually just read that one too. I've got grandparents in Australia so they recommended it to me. I'm a huge Bryson fan.
davey-rocket wrote:I highly recomend his "A Short History of Nearly Everything," even for those not interested in science he makes it amazingly entertaining.
That was the first Bryson book I read. Incredibly entertaining!
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

Just read Whiteout: Lost in Aspen, by Ted Conover

http://www.amazon.com/Whiteout-Lost-Asp ... 61&sr=1-44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a fun account by a guy who spent a few years prowling around modern Aspen, rubbing elbows with the filthy rich and famous, as well as the modern bum, and his observations about how the Aspen of the past has changed.
Fairlight
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Fairlight »

-48º Art Davidson. Very well written.
http://www.amazon.com/Minus-148-Degrees ... 828&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;