Dog sick, could it be the water?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Dog sick, could it be the water?

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Over the course of a year, I have taken my dog up Longs Ranch Rd (Manitou Springs) to Barr Camp and back down Barr Trail (11-14 mi depending on route), 4 times. Each time she has gotten some sort of ailment.

Twice, she thew up (a lot) at the end of the hike, but was fine after that.

Once, she rubbed her butt on the grass at the end of the hike, but was fine after that.

Yesterday, she got what appears to be hemorrhoids and is pretty miserable today, taking her into the vet now.

She's been on many, similar length, hikes and drank from various water sources and has been fine. I bring the same food/treats I always do. Is it possible that something is in the water, making her ill?

Has anyone else taken their dog up Longs Ranch Rd and they've been fine or had issues? The few other people I've seen up there, have not had dogs with them.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog sick, could it be the water?

Post by mtgirl »

Hi Valerie. You might want to ask Matt Carpenter's Incline Club, who trains regularly on Longs Ranch Road along with several other trails in the area. They have a message board on their website.....or you could email Matt directly to see if he's heard of anything similar.

http://www.inclineclub.com/home.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

That's where I learned the route from. #-o I should have thought of that. Thanks for the great suggestion.

However, the vet did a thorough exam and gave me my answer. It's not the water. Lily was exhibiting a "stage 3 allergic reaction" to something along that route. Just need to dope her up with some Benadryl before our next trip up LRR and she should be good to go. The only drawback is that she may get drowsy and may not be able to go as far (which I find doubtful, this dog NEVER tires :shock: ).

Regardless, I'll do a few out and backs to see what her limit is with the drugs.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Ute trail goes right by a water treatment plant; maybe there's some chemical in the air that's bothering her.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

I often watch a dog with allergies that I give Benadryl. A friend also has a chart based on weight to determine safe amounts to give to dogs. PM me if it's something you would like to have too.

I usually give this dog, an approx. 90 lb. Lab, 3 or 4 and she continues to play and run. She's getting older so she tires fast than she did several years ago. I usually notice her mellowing out once she's done hiking, chasing the ball, etc... Once she lies down it's nap time. The Benedryl has helped but doesn't completely dope her up.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
caseygries
Trip Reports (0)

Post by caseygries »

My 3 yr old dog developed allergies to some type of weed or grass this summer as well. He scratched at his belly (where the allergen was in contact) for days, developed multiple small Staphylococcus sp. infections, so finally we took him in to the vet to get a cortisone shot and antibiotics. This helped alot due to the fact that the steroid remains in their body for up to 3 months. Within days he was better for the remainder of the summer/fall. We plan on taking him in to get another shot in the spring then probably 2-3 months after that for the remainder of allergy season.

Additionally, unlike Benadryl which may (but not likely :) ) cause drowsiness, cortisone can actually have side effects of hyperactivity (perfect for hikes!) but also dehydration (important to keep then hydrated).

So this may be something to bring up to your vet for the future because allergies typically don't go away, if not get worse.