Utah Canyoneering

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Utah Canyoneering

Post by Scott P »

Last weekend, the kids had a long weekend so we did some technical canyoneering in Utah.

We met with a group of others and completed Blarney, Arscenic and Basilisk Canyons. Arscenic was Shaylee's most difficult canyon to date and the 200 foot rappel was a record for both kids. There was much climbing, stemming and scrambling involved, but everyone had a blast. A full trip report will follow, but here are a few teaser photos.

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Utah Canyoneering

Post by skiwall »

Cute! Arscenic is one of my favs. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Very cool Scott. You need to get me out canyoneering! I've still never been... :(
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I am heading to Arches next week. This will be my 2nd time canyoneering in Utah, but 1st time technical canyoneering. Looking forward to it.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

nkan02 wrote:I am heading to Arches next week. This will be my 2nd time canyoneering in Utah, but 1st time technical canyoneering. Looking forward to it.
so jealous!!! :-D take lots of pics!
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

nkan02 wrote:I am heading to Arches next week. This will be my 2nd time canyoneering in Utah, but 1st time technical canyoneering. Looking forward to it.
Rock of Ages is pretty cool, so are Tierdrop and Uturn. If you get some time for Elephant Butte (more of a 4th class climb than canyoneering), I'd highly recommend it. It has a rappel in the middle of the climbing route. GREAT views from the top.....the highpoint of Arches NP.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."