Alaska Trip Report

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Alaska Trip Report

Post by Scott P »

Here is a trip report from Alaska:

http://www.summitpost.org/an-odyssey-th ... ska/747192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you like it. :D
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
EZSide
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Alaska Trip Report

Post by EZSide »

As a father who has managed many (lesser) adventures with my sons and family ... nicely done! It was fun to note throughout the trip the thread of flexibility ... the compass of joy. Our family has talked of an Alaska outing like this - but it will have to wait for the grandchildren. Your TR is fuel for those types of dreams and can enable the reality.

Thank you for sharing!

Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

I was checking this out over on SP and was hoping you would post here. Delightful family adventure ... wish I'd been able to do that much travel as a kid. Thanks for sharing, Scott. Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Just fantastic Scott...thanks for posting. What a wonderful trip. My wife and I just adopted a two year old boy from Africa. It's a little late this year (plus he is still adjusting to his new world), but I'd like to start hiking with him next summer. If you don't mind, I may send you a note around that time asking about your progression with Kessler. I couldn't be more excited about sharing adventures with my son.

Also, it is great (and a little funny) to still see the green down jacket on Kessler after all these years. It fits now!

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song