Rainier Area question

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Rainier Area question

Post by nyker »

I have a question about hiking up to Camp Muir. (as a dayhike, meaning not camping there).

For the hike up to Camp Muir from Paradise, is this a "normal" hike, that someone can do without any permits? It appears crampons and an axe may be needed, but assuming this is the objective and not on the same trip or same day as a climb up the mountain for a summit attempt, is there any special planning/permits that would be needed for this?
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Rainier Area question

Post by wineguy »

I don't know about permits, but ice ax and crampons were not needed to get to Camp Muir in July 2011. This was a very heavy snow year, 900" vs. 600" normal, so we stepped onto snow from the Paradise parking lot. Of course, the snow was soft by then, so at other times of the year crampons might be helpful. I didn't think the route was steep enough to ever require an ice ax. Different story above Camp Muir. Our only problem was visibility, the mountain was socked in dense clouds, so the RMI guides were useful for finding Camp Muir.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

The need for crampons below Muir is going to be a strong function of weather. In the early morning I recall wearing mine while descending in August 2009. We took them off about 1000' down but the first 1000' feet down were pretty frozen slick as we descending in the very early morning.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

If you start later in the day, say after 9 am, you shouldn't need crampons unless something unusual is afoot.
I've been up there a few times and never used crampons below Muir.
Camp Muir is a classic mellow ski line.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
bdub223
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdub223 »

No need for crampons... if your worried you could always bring mircospikes... I was up there a few weeks ago. 2 of us from a party of 3 used crampons to Muir, mainly because we had them. but by 8am they were not necessary. This time of year there is several boot track line craved in the snow all the way up.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

+1 for Microspikes...I think some extra traction is a good idea, but crampons are too much.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

ok, thanks guys.
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

I was on Rainier this past week. Snow below Muir was pretty soft. No need for microspikes or crampons. Could be different if there was a cold snap. Word of caution - I was glissading down the snowfield in a short sleeve shirt. Cut my right arm on the corn snow and needed nine stitches. It's one the dumbest things I have done on a mountain in recent memory. :x
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

Great information to know. My son and I are flying into Portland and going up to Rainier on Thursday this week to hike from Paradise to Muir. I've packed everything just in case. I will post some info on Oct. 2nd if anyone is hiking it after that.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

What is the ruling about minimum of 2 people together on a glacier? Or is that just above Muir Hut?
robco
14ers: 57  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robco »

TerryLiv: Yeah, there aren't any crevasses before Muir.

I agree with the others, no need for crampons/axe to dayhike Muir. I'd say poles/microspikes might be nice.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

I was not up on Rainier last season but the season before there were some cracks open on the Muir snow field, if it is early in the season they should be filled and late inthe season they should be visable so not a problem but to say there are not any might be pushing it a bit, of course you would have to work hard to actually "fall" into one but there were cracks.