R2R2R

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: R2R2R

Post by Sugar Madison »

I've done the R2R2R 4 or 5 times, and I prefer fall over spring. The weather is more stable and there's less chance for ice (vs. April).

Agree completely with Rob on everything he's said.

The residence water tap has been on every time I've been there, as late as Thanksgiving weekend. Also, I wouldn't take a filter... just Aqua Mira. Much much lighter option for the slim chance you'll need it. If the residence tap is off, you can treat out of Bright Angel creek... 25 yards from the residence.

It's a beautiful run, one of the top-5 on my life list, even with the mule piss.
Prairie Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Dog »

Ok - I will admit the term "sucks" is a bit harsh. The canyon is beautiful no matter where you are, what time of year, or how many people are enjoying it with you! Let's face it, typically (even on the corridor trails) you don't encounter very many people unless you're within a few miles of the rim(s). Just pointing out that there are many alternatives to the corridor trails. In '09 we did the Tanner/Beamer trails to the confluence of the Little Colorado River - except for some day hikers near the rim - didn't see another person for three days! - oh wait, I take that back - there was one small group camping at Tanner Beach.

Cheers! - and Enjoy!

Chris
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Wow, sounds the the Fall is a great time to do this. I need to try this once myself, and I betcha the fastest times are indeed in the fall, when daylight is not important (meaning the really fast guys can start at first light and finish before dark even in November).

Still, late April has a few hours longer of daylight vs. October, very important to us slower folks. Never had any ice to deal with on either rim, 9 years in a row in late April (2003-2011). Snow on the north side a few times, never a problem though, though I'm sure the fastest folks lose a few minutes time with it.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

climbing_rob wrote:Wow, sounds the the Fall is a great time to do this. I need to try this once myself, and I betcha the fastest times are indeed in the fall, when daylight is not important (meaning the really fast guys can start at first light and finish before dark even in November).

Still, late April has a few hours longer of daylight vs. October, very important to us slower folks. Never had any ice to deal with on either rim, 9 years in a row in late April (2003-2011). Snow on the north side a few times, never a problem though, though I'm sure the fastest folks lose a few minutes time with it.
The fast men have been hitting it in November, generally, whereas the women hit it hard this past April.

A small group of us are heading out in a few weeks to set zero records, other than having fun and seeing it all. I'm not sure how much the daylight difference matters, as it sounds like Mackey left before sunrise, and so are we. There are mule trains to avoid (e.g. a 5am one on the Kaibab) as well as temperatures, of course.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

madbuck wrote:A small group of us are heading out in a few weeks to set zero records, other than having fun and seeing it all. I'm not sure how much the daylight difference matters, as it sounds like Mackey left before sunrise, and so are we. There are mule trains to avoid (e.g. a 5am one on the Kaibab) as well as temperatures, of course.
Excellent !!!!!!

Just remember the GC safety golden rule.... Do NOT try to hike to the river and back in one day !!!
Attachments
P1010053a.jpg
P1010053a.jpg (317.53 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Thanks Rob for that image...I was wondering what the heck R2R2R meant but now I know.

I wouldn't worry about it. Late fall (Oct-Nov) IMO is the best time
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"