5th Great Traverse Proposal

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Re: 5th Great Traverse Proposal

Post by PKelley »

My wife and I did that about a decade ago, and I remember it being a big, big day for us.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

I'm all for Cap-Snowmass to be added as the 5th Great Traverse! Although I do have a particular affinity for the son-of-a b%*ch of a route I am in love with it. In all honesty I do strongly believe that it should be seriously considered. i have done it, and can be done safely, and can be done in a day, albeit a long day.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

oldschool wrote:albeit a long day
And you definately can't use a rope if your doing it in a day. Except for the rappel off Cap. That is one long bad boy.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Ok, even though I haven't done anything remotely that difficult or any of the classic traverses, after reading that TR of the cap-snowmass traverse I would have to say that one should be on the list.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Will be doing this on September 24th, weather permitting. I am hoping to complete the traverse in 3 hours- it's possible, right?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

djkest wrote:Will be doing this on September 24th, weather permitting. I am hoping to complete the traverse in 3 hours- it's possible, right?
Possible for the fit and good at finding the fastest way through boulderfields. 3 hours is what we were hoping for. Good luck is about all I can say.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
stevevets689
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

castricone7 wrote:We just did Snowmass Peak-Hagerman-Snowmass Mountain traverse from Trail Rdier Pass and had planned to continue across to Capitol and hike out in a giant loop. Whiteout conditions and our general malaise for the ridge changed that...but that is a badass ridge nonetheless. By the way, we did this as a loop from the Snowmass Creek TH in 25.5 hours (including missing the cutoff for the trailhead at 1 am and hiking in the wrong direction for 2 miles!). Marathon length. Peace.
Sounds like trip report material to me. What was your route up Snowmass Peak? I've heard the ridge between Hagerman and Snowmass Mountain is pretty chossy, blech. I just want Hagar's Way and I'll be happy.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

stevevets689 wrote:
djkest wrote:Will be doing this on September 24th, weather permitting. I am hoping to complete the traverse in 3 hours- it's possible, right?
Possible for the fit and good at finding the fastest way through boulderfields. 3 hours is what we were hoping for. Good luck is about all I can say.
Well, we did the H-C traverse Saturday. Took us 3 hours, 5 minutes. I took a few long breaks down there just cause I was feeling lazy/apathetic. The weather was good. It was confusing at times which the best way to go would be. Took us nearly 2 hours to start ascending Columbia. When you get to the saddle @13,300', Columbia looks so close and yet seemed to get longer as I climbed higher.

No offense to anyone intended, it was harder than it looked and harder than I anticipated. For some reason, pictures make it seem less steep. We did find a route that I think may be as good as Bill's intended route. Near the middle when you come down that ridge- Bill suggests you go around instead of heading down that loose gulley. Well, we actually went down the "last gulley" and found it to be acceptable although my friend kept dislodging small rocks (1-2 pounds) that hit me- but no big deal. This not only cut some time and distance off the suggested route, but you also don't have to lose/gain as much altitude. It appears this option was not the dotted red route that bill outlines. I'll see if I can find a picture that precisely shows what we took. The most challenging part was the huge boulderfield in the "world of talus" (thanks Bill, that's a keeper!). I made some big jumps that had my friends shaking their heads.

This traverse is more work than maybe people are thinking, and to the the whole thing as a day hike was seriously exhausting for us. Longest. Hiking. Day. Ever.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
stevevets689
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Thanks for the followup, sounds like you had a similar (though faster) day to ours.
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

Nobody has mentioned the Sawtooth here (Bierstadt to Mt. Evans). I personally found this one to be more difficult (say time-consuming) than the Harvard-Columbia traverse, specially with snow conditions.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.