Thatchtop "S Shaped Gully"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Thatchtop "S Shaped Gully"

Post by JE242 »

About a month ago, I attempted the "S shaped" route on Thatchtop. I found the lower part of the gully to be horrible with loose rock. Going up this section sucked and going down was even more irritating. This route looks like it would make fun snow climb. Which leads to my question. Does the gully hold much snow by spring? Has anyone climbed it in good snow conditions? Thoughts?
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Thatchtop "S Shaped Gully"

Post by Floyd »

I don't know if this is the same gully, but if it's "All Mixed Up" it claimed the life of a fine climber and 14ers.com member, Chris Pruchnic, last fall.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... lit=haliku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the route: http://climbinglife.com/thatchtop/all-mixed-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
kmaley
14ers: 43 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kmaley »

The S-shaped gully (a nontechnical hiking route) is on the north-facing end of Thatchtop, whereas "All Mixed Up" (technical ice/snow) faces east. They aren't the same. I hiked the S-shaped gully a little over a year ago, and it is indeed loose in places, but no more loose than a lot of 14ers. I descended via Shelf and Solitude Lakes and thus avoided going down the loose gully. I'm afraid I don't know about snow climbing in the S-shaped gully per se, but given its northern exposure, it seems like it would hold snow.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

It holds snow. Pics taken on April 9, 2011, from E. Glacier Knob. I can't comment on snow conditions.
_DSC7966.jpg
_DSC7966.jpg (272.99 KiB) Viewed 459 times
_DSC7967.jpg
_DSC7967.jpg (310.63 KiB) Viewed 459 times
A few more words here...
http://www.summitpost.org/the-s-gully-r ... 1/c-162224
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will have another proper winter and that will be "in" by june!